Author Topic: Need some advice with breeding  (Read 9755 times)

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Need some advice with breeding
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 12:12:01 AM »
Quote from: John
I do cull quite a bit every year also and keep my best.

...and start culling as day-old chicks.  Look at the photos of chicks on the ABC site and compare.  Some E/E and ER/ER chicks look the same, but if the chick is completely or almost completely black chances are it is ER/ER or E/ER.  
This can save on brooder space and feed.
Keep culling every few weeks or so.

Interesting.  I will start noting that at hatch.  
I did have a couple of all black chicks hatch last year, no cream.  Looked much like the brown red chick photos.  I happened to keep one.  It turned out a cockeral, no leakage so far, black legs I believe and black toenails, which I thought was neat and unusual.  He is third in my pecking order (just a spare)because of size and a low tail.  
Does the same hold true for the blue chicks if they do not have cream?  Because I think I had one or two of those last year also.  I also had one chick that I could have sworn was a black chick until lacing starting showing up when it fully feathered out.  She is one dark hen.
But yes, I have been culling even the chicks.  The wings have been issues with me in the past and I\'m finally past that.  I usually end up growing out maybe 10 or 15 and cull once again.  Except the hens.  They are always good for eggs.
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

John

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 09:59:08 AM »
Does the same hold true for the blue chicks if they do not have cream?

I would think so.  It would be nice to have photos of day-old Andalusian chicks (that are supposed to be ER/ER) to compare with.  That would show the correct phenotype.
It was interesting to me that the phenotype of my bantam blacks and brown reds was just about identical, but the differences in the LF chicks was obvious.
I also had one chick that I could have sworn was a black chick until lacing starting showing up when it fully feathered out.  She is one dark hen.

When I had blues I had a few like that too.  They were so dark they looked black.
I have one pair mating of LF blacks this year that is producing chicks that look black, blue and splash.  I should raise some up that appear blue and splash to see what they really are.  Even if one of these blacks were a blue they shouldn\'t produce splash.  If they both carry white they could produce white chicks, but the down on the chicks looks kind of grayish...their wing feathers are coming in white.

bantamhill

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 10:11:07 AM »
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Day-Old-Baby-Chicks/Blue-Andalusian-p357.aspx

These pictures are pretty good and the hen is correct. I would like to see pictures from someone that raises the correctly colored Andalusian also.

John

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »
If the birds that show it have black shanks my guess is they are E based, but if they have slate shanks they may be ER (birchen)...

http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations2.html
This is a very simple explanation on the genetics. Unfortunately, there is much more, as \"plumage colour genes\" can influence shank colour significantly. Another major influence on epidermal pigment shank colour is the E (Extended Black) gene, and to a lessor degree - ER (Birchen). These genes enhance black extension on to the epidermal layer.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
Well can I get an expert opinion on what color these shanks are?  I think they are black compared to some of the others in my flock.  What say you guys?
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...