Author Topic: Current Feed Prices  (Read 7601 times)

Mike Gilbert

Current Feed Prices
« on: April 01, 2011, 03:10:22 PM »
While I have adult breeder feed custom mixed at a local feed mill, I\'m still purchasing chick starter/grower by the 50 lb bag.
The lowest cost I have found lately was $11.99 a bag, and that was on sale.   What are feed prices doing in the rest of the country?

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Current Feed Prices
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 03:27:51 PM »
I\'m paying $13.39 and buy my feed by the ton, so your cost is a bargain to me.
Jean

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
Quote from: Jean
I\'m paying $13.39 and buy my feed by the ton, so your cost is a bargain to me.

I buy Agway gamebird started at 26% for $15 a 50Lb. bag. Layer mash at the mill at $21 for 100 lbs for 20%.

Their chick grower is the same price for 14% protein, I don\'t understand that....should be less for less protein.

I\'m currently mixing the egg layer with Agway 14% chick grower, 50-50 . The Agway 14% is $12.50 for 50 lbs.

I\'m in NY State.

Sue

Beth C

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »
Chick feed is killing me - $13.80/50#. I really wanted to grow out a lot of birds, but at this rate I\'m going to have to start making some decisions much earlier than planned... :o

Cloverleaf Farm

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »
WITH my son\'s 4H discount, I\'m still paying $14.49/50# bag of start & grow.  ugh...

dak

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
Nutrena 20% layer is 14.99, and Purina Flockraiser is $17.25.

bantamhill

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »
Quote from: sterling
Their chick grower is the same price for 14% protein, I don\'t understand that....should be less for less protein.

Actually, the cost is being driven by the source of the protein. Not all protein costs the same amount. Look the ingredient tag or ask about what the source of the protein in your feed. You may be surprised.

Michael

faith valley

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
We are in Ohio- just bought feed last week and prices have gone up again. Nutrena chick starter 13.10 for 50# and Hubbard game bird breeder pellets 15.70 for 50#.

I like the Hubbard because it has animal protein not straight plant protien.  The chicks and ducklings hatch so much better for us with an animal protein feed. Have any of you all experimented with plant protein verses animal protein and how it affects your hatches?

Interesting to note that the Nutrena starter use to be (as of 2 weeks ago when I bought starter) a 20% protein but they have reformulated the feed and changed the bag as well- it is now an 18% feed.

Patty

Beth C

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
Patty I noticed that too! I couldn\'t find a tag on my old bag, but I thought it was 20%, and this is now 18%.

I\'ve always liked Hubbard feeds, too. Unfortunately no one in our area carries them. :(

bantamhill

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 12:14:26 PM »
Animal protein is a good thing for chickens!

faith valley

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »
Beth, did you notice that the color of the Nutrena starter is now a much darker color as well?

Patty

Beth C

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
Yes, I noticed that, too. I hope I have an empty bag somewhere with a label that I can compare. I don\'t like that they changed it so drastically w/no warning...

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »
Quote from: Beth C
Yes, I noticed that, too. I hope I have an empty bag somewhere with a label that I can compare. I don\'t like that they changed it so drastically w/no warning...

Its less protein, but you are probably paying the same price...its their way to compensate for price increases in grains, etc.

Like, tuna use to be 6 ozs. in a can, now its 5 or even 4 in some, but price is the same or higher. Have to read labels on everything these days.

Sue

Beth C

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2011, 10:51:41 AM »
Yes, and yogurt used to come in 8oz cups and it now comes in 6oz and some 4oz. Then there are the canned veggies that are the same weight but a greater percentage of that weight is liquid. I hate the deceptive marketing - I\'ve got to buy the stuff, don\'t have a choice, just be up front about what you\'re selling and how much you need to get for it!

Mike Gilbert

Current Feed Prices
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 06:34:51 PM »
Located an Amish start-up feed dealer who sells Prince brand medicated chick starter, 20% protein,  for $9.75 per 50 lb bag.  Further discount for purchasing a pallet load at a time.   Now if I can just get my trailer back from my son in law . . .