Author Topic: Kind of silly question  (Read 3845 times)

Coyote

Kind of silly question
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:59:56 PM »
My boss who really knows nothing about chickens really stumped me with this question-Will a fertile double yolk egg ever hatch out twins? Since I only hatch bantams and have never had a double yolk with them I was stumped. Can anyone help?

faith valley

Kind of silly question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 11:46:15 PM »
I can not see how there would be enough room for 2 embryos to develop fully to hatching stage within one egg.  Plus, there is still only the one air cell and that air cell would need to supply oxygen to both chicks while they are internally pipped but before extenally pipping to gain taht extra oxygen.  I guess anything is possible, but it does not sound too likely.

dak

Kind of silly question
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:12:50 AM »
I am helping a friend who is a MD doing MRI research, and we are incubating double yolked eggs to various stages of development and then imaging.  I have had one make it to Day 19 with two viable chicks, but then I stopped development to mail to her.  Both heads were side by side near the air sac, so I guess hatching might have been a possibility.  

Cloverleaf Farm

Kind of silly question
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 05:33:19 AM »
It is possible, but they usually require help to hatch successfully.

Beth C

Kind of silly question
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 07:07:50 AM »
Rarely and with much help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZeEY-kt7A

grisaboy

Kind of silly question
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 09:00:03 AM »

Beth C

Kind of silly question
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 09:27:42 AM »
Oi! :o

John

Kind of silly question
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 06:30:36 PM »
This is not about an Ameraucana egg, but it fits the topic about a double yoke egg that came close to hatching twins today.  The thin shell of this jumbo Chantecler egg was cracked but they didn\'t hatch.  

dak

Kind of silly question
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:11:06 PM »
I have a double yolker in the incubator now, however only one embryo is developing.  I\'m going to let it run its course and see what happens with the extra yolk.