Author Topic: Another vaccination question  (Read 5050 times)

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
Another vaccination question
« on: May 14, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »
Anybody here vaccinate for Newcastle/IB?  My chicks are now 3 and 4 weeks old, still isolated and I bought the vaccine for it, but it is live.  The B-1 type.  Is there any danger to the chicks with this? Are they carriers after vaccination?  Or only temporary carriers?  Should I vaccinate my older birds with this live vaccine?  They have only had the dead version and that was last year.  At the time, I didn\'t realize they needed to be prepped with a live vaccine and the vaccine was a combo MG, Newcastle, IB and pretty expensive.  If I don\'t vaccinate the older birds, they wouldn\'t be at risk from the younger ones once they are mingled would they? And do you really have to revaccinate for this every few months?  
Thanks
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »
So nobody does this?
Sharon

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 03:53:19 PM »
I was hoping somebody else would step up to the plate on this one.   I don\'t believe in vaccinating for anything unless and until there is a problem.   I do vaccinate for Marek\'s, as I had a problem with that starting in the mid 1990\'s.   I have had to depopulate and start over from hatching eggs twice in 33 years.   What I did then was save eggs from my own hens, and then disposed of them when the chicks first hatched.   It can be a pain disinfecting everything, but a pressure washer is a big help.

Cloverleaf Farm

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »
If I were you, I would contact your state vet.  Ours told me to vaccinate for NOTHING but Mareks, and then only with a killed virus vaccine.  He said to never use a modified live vaccine unless you have an outbreak, as your birds will be carriers, and expose all other birds they come into contact with. ;)

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »
Quote from: Cloverleaf Farm
If I were you, I would contact your state vet.  Ours told me to vaccinate for NOTHING but Mareks, and then only with a killed virus vaccine.  He said to never use a modified live vaccine unless you have an outbreak, as your birds will be carriers, and expose all other birds they come into contact with. ;)

Thanks.  That\'s what I wanted to know.  If they would be carriers.  The vaccine itself said to keep unvaccinated birds away for two weeks, so I just wasn\'t sure if it made the vaccinated birds permanant carriers or temporary.  The only killed vaccine I know about is a combined MG/Newcastle/IB vaccine and it is very expensive.  I haven\'t lost any birds so far, so whatever they have must be very mild.  Just about every other day I notice a bird that sneezes.  This started a couple of years ago with a previous flock, in which I lost one bird, and now I just notice sneezes occasionally and one pullet that has suddenly started laying soft shells.  And in the last few years, she has not been the only one.  I guess I will skip the live vaccine since I\'m not really sure what I could be dealing with.  I was thinking it was IB but so many diseases share common traits.  
Sharon

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 06:10:57 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
I was hoping somebody else would step up to the plate on this one.   I don\'t believe in vaccinating for anything unless and until there is a problem.   I do vaccinate for Marek\'s, as I had a problem with that starting in the mid 1990\'s.   I have had to depopulate and start over from hatching eggs twice in 33 years.   What I did then was save eggs from my own hens, and then disposed of them when the chicks first hatched.   It can be a pain disinfecting everything, but a pressure washer is a big help.

Do you bring in birds from others or keep a closed flock?  I was kind of under the impression that most on here who breed and show vaccinated for different things or else ran the risk of bringing back something from shows or elsewhere.
Sharon

John

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
so many diseases share common traits

Very true.  FYI, there are some old topics that are similar and may be helpful.  Here are a few, but keep in mind some opinions and data may have changed since these were written...
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=584
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=74
http://ameraucana.org/abcforum/index.php?a=topic&t=555