The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Housing, Health & Hatching

can anyone give me some tips?

(1/8) > >>

greeneggsandham:
I\'m going to vaccinate my chicks for Mareks.  Haven\'t done it before and I am just sure I\'m going to kill one by sticking a needle in its neck.  I tried the other day to see if there was enough loose skin about the neck to make this possible and I just don\'t see it folks.  Are there any tricks to the trade to make this as painless for me as the chicks?  Appreciate it.

Mike Gilbert:
Bunch the skin of the back of the chicks neck up between your forefinger and thumb of one hand, and slide the needle
under the skin with the other.   Insert the needle nearly parallel with the skin, don\'t go straight in at a 90 degree angle.
It\'s easy once you have done a few.

faith valley:
Here is a wonderful photo article by K J at Shag Bark Bantams.  It was really helpful for me- first year vaccinating for Merek\'s as well.

http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/mdvac.htm

Patty

greeneggsandham:
Thank you all very much for your advice.  I like that site Patty.  The alcohol swab sounds like a great idea for seeing the skin.
And, thank you Jean for your response.  Now I just need to get a smaller needle.   :D

greeneggsandham:
Well, I can\'t find any 25 ga needles locally.  I checked Walmart and Walgreens and feed stores.  The smallest I have is 22 ga.  Is that too big?  Will it work?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version