Author Topic: color genetics question  (Read 4730 times)

color genetics question
« on: May 04, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »
I was using a splash Ameraucana roo with heavy red bleed to breed EEs off several breeds. My neighbor wanted several dozen hatching eggs, with about 2/3 of them being off this roo on Speckled Sussex and Black Laced Red Wyandottes, the rest off a couple of poorer quality black and blue Ams. and three EEs, under two very nice show quality Dark Cornish and a huge white CX [that has never sired a chick]. He reported that none of the blue or green eggs hatched.

The first hatch of these eggs, he got one pullet hatched yellow, now feathered white with a red head, pea comb, green shanks, and scant muffs, and is the largest chick by a small margin. I figure he missed a hatched EE egg and that big ol\' CX finally got lucky. LOL  

The second hatch now has 4 or 5 of these, down ranging from yellow to yellow with faint orange stripes and head patterns; feathering white to kinda\' looking like white laced red or jubilee, some yellow and some green shanks. Again he claims all were from tan eggs. Is it possible a blue splash on these hens could have produced these; or is the guy doing the hatching missing seeing that many green eggs hatched? {The rest hatched are the expected solid blue, blue with red or gold showing, and red with blue patterning.} The roo was purchased from a breeder as a chick, but I\'ve always suspected he was actually an EE/Ameraucana cross due to his conformation and heavy red bleed, but at a loss as to how he could have sired chicks of this color off these hens.

John

color genetics question
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:08:39 PM »
Steve,
I\'m kinda lost and will re-read this when I have more time, but can you post some pics of the chicks and breeders to help clarify?

color genetics question
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 03:26:01 AM »
I see I forgot to logout after opening this topic. LOL

I tried posting pics with the question, but evidently they are too large to load here and I\'m too computer ignorant to down size them.

I realize my post was a bit rambling. LOL A simple question would be \"Can a blue splash Ameraucana roo produce white or white and red feathered offspring, with yellow and green shanks, from Speckled Sussex or Black Laced Red Wyandottes?\"  

I can\'t believe he would throw chicks with yellow or green legs off Sussex hens even if he\'s actually carrying a hidden gene for yellow legs himself; and can\'t understand how either cross would produce white feathered chicks with a little bit of red showing on the white.

Mike Gilbert

color genetics question
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 09:26:51 AM »
Quote from: SteveH
A simple question would be \"Can a blue splash Ameraucana roo produce white or white and red feathered offspring, with yellow and green shanks, from Speckled Sussex or Black Laced Red Wyandottes?\"  

If the splash male was carrying one copy of the recessive gene that produces yellow skin epidermis, he could potentially produce, when crossed with yellow legged mates, some pullets with willow shanks and some cockerels with yellow shanks.  If there are pullets with yellow shanks and/or cockerels with willow shanks, he is not the daddy.  Either way, your splash rooster with red bleed is not good for breeding true Ameraucanas.   With regard to the white feathering on the chicks, your rooster could possibly have been carrying one copy of dominant white, but almost all white true Ameraucanas are recessive white.

color genetics question
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 04:43:19 PM »
Either way, your splash rooster with red bleed is not good for breeding true Ameraucanas.  With regard to the white feathering on the chicks, your rooster could possibly have been carrying one copy of dominant white, but almost all white true Ameraucanas are recessive white.

From the start, this guy\'s type alone eliminated him from use as an Ameraucana; he was very upright in stance and his tail was carried at a near 90 degees once it came in, but I figured he would make a great prodocer of EEs. LOL I sold him last month..................... and in fact kept only 4 pullets to breed as Ameraucanas of the entire group of chicks he was a part of................ though he and one pullet were the only ones that were off in type, and they all had proper color except him and the off type pullet [she had some pure black teathers mixed in her blue base]. The 4 keepers are under a recessive white, and it will be a test breed for both him and them. While he didn\'t appear to show any dominate white characteristics as far as his own color, I am beginning to suspect he might have carried one copy.