The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Housing, Health & Hatching

Breeding pens

(1/3) > >>

Jess:
Evening folks,
I am trying to get my breeding pens set up.
I will have 9 pens about 8\'X8\'.
Is this enough space for about 4 hens and 1 rooster?
Thanks
Jess

Jess:
I put 1 inch poultry netting, 2 feet high over the panels and the doors to keep the roosters from fighting through the 2X4 stock panels. I hope this works.
I had 2 roosters fight through the panels until one was almost killed. I had to put it down.
Thanks
Jess

John:
You should be able to have many more than a quad of LF in an 8 by 8 pen.  I would shoot for a dozen or at least 7 hens to one cock.
I know you already have the poultry wire up, but having a solid partition, for the bottom two feet, works well.  It eliminates the cock fighting thru the wire.  Also, make sure the roosts don\'t line up with each other from one pen to the other or the birds will be fighting from there.

Jess:
Thanks John,
I may go for the 7 hens option.
If 6 of them layed, I could get a dozen eggs every other day.
Thanks
Jess

John:

--- Quote ---If 6 of them layed, I could get a dozen eggs every other day.
--- End quote ---

I am not too optimistic when it comes to eggs and chicks.  I generally figure an egg every other day on average from the hens and chicks from 1/2 the eggs that I set.  
With the hens you also should be ready for those that quit laying because they become broody.  I have 8 Chantecler hens in a coop/pen of 14 that are broody...that really hurts the egg production. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version