Author Topic: Brooding Problem  (Read 3962 times)

Mike Gilbert

Brooding Problem
« on: May 25, 2011, 12:46:51 PM »
Has anyone had problems with certain types of glass used for waterers?   All mine are used on the typical red plastic bases.
I recently had one brooder out of six where the fully feathered chicks started to die, huddle under the light, and were very light and thin.  The symptoms resembled that of coccidiosis, but the droppings were normal.   They get the same care, feed, litter, and everything else as the chicks in the other five brooders, and those others were all fine.   I finally realized the problems started when I exchanged jars on the water fountain (the first one needed cleaning), using a clean Miracle Whip jar that was just the right size to screw onto those red bases.   As near as I can tell, that glass must have been leaching lead or some other chemical into the water, poisoning the chicks.  It\'s a lighter, thinner glass than the regular mason jars normally used here.  It\'s the only explanation I\'ve been able to come up with so far.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Brooding Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 03:17:15 PM »
Did you treat for cocci?

I had chicks in a brand new clear Sterilite tub get cocci!

They were on paper towels and the feeder and waterer had been thoroughly cleaned and disinfected.  So, that leaves the feed.....

Treated them with corid and they are fine now.
Jean

Brooding Problem
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
Jean if you do\'t mind me asking. What dosage of Corid did you use? I have some on hand just in case but have never had to use it. Thanks

Mike Gilbert

Brooding Problem
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 04:34:45 PM »
If it were the feed, the chicks in the other brooders would likely have been affected.   As I said, the droppings were fine.   I didn\'t change anything except the water jar, and now they are recovering.  They are on the same feed and the same litter as before.  I\'m wondering now if that water jar had been microwaved at some point before I used it.

John

Brooding Problem
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 05:07:22 PM »
I don\'t think it was the jar, but would use it in one of those other brooders.  

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Brooding Problem
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 05:20:28 PM »
Quote from: CindyM
Jean if you do\'t mind me asking. What dosage of Corid did you use? I have some on hand just in case but have never had to use it. Thanks

1 tsp per gallon.
Jean