Author Topic: Feeding Chickins  (Read 3519 times)

Jess

Feeding Chickins
« on: June 26, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »
Evening,
I was just wondering if any of you ever feed food scraps to your chickins?
My flock runs free range and I throw them watermellon rines corn on the cob, table scraps, and other left over food.
Is this OK, not OK or any problem?
They love them seems like.
I also feed commercial feed. and this seems to cut down on the feed bill some.
Thanks
Jess

Beth C

Feeding Chickins
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 06:52:18 AM »
Yep, not just my own table scraps but the school kitchen and a nearby restaurant save me food scraps and I repay them with eggs. Helps a lot on feed!

dak

Feeding Chickins
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
Sure.  I have a picky 4 y/o son.  Lots of leftovers.  Looks like they will be getting spagetti tonight.

John

Feeding Chickins
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:55:26 AM »
school kitchen and a nearby restaurant

A couple that buy many of my \"rejects\" own a restaurant, so their birds eat better than most.

Jess

Feeding Chickins
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »
Thanks folks,
I was just wondering.
Jess

Beth C

Feeding Chickins
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:48:30 PM »
Quote from: John
A couple that buy many of my \"rejects\" own a restaurant, so their birds eat better than most.

Funny how some rejects end up living high on the hog. I have a couple who\'ve gotten a bunch of birds from me, including a production red pullet with a cross beak. She was in a batch I ordered to resell, and by the time I noticed the beak, she\'d figured out how to eat with it and was holding her own, so instead of putting her down I ask them if they wanted her. They treat their birds like pets, and that unfortunate creature rewards them with a huge brown egg every day. ;)