The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Housing, Health & Hatching

Hot weather and stress on chickens

<< < (6/7) > >>

John:

--- Quote ---rain is a good thing!
--- End quote ---

You are right, but hot/warm dry weather followed by a few days of cold rainy/damp weather can cause a lot of stress on the young birds.  I was just telling Mike, yesterday, about some of my experiences with that situation over the years and the results weren\'t pretty.  Keep them dry, not just by keeping them from getting rained on but out of mud and keep the bedding dry.    

Beth C:
A local breeder mentioned that too. He told me he raises all of his birds on wire but he has bantams - don\'t see how I could pull that off w/LF.

Speaking of losing birds to stress, has anyone else noticed that pullets handle stress better and/or are hardier? Whenever I lose young birds, I seem to lose about twice as many males as females. Just dumb luck? :)

John:

--- Quote ---dumb
--- End quote ---

So, Beth, are you saying males are dumber than females?  :D :D :D
(please don\'t answer that)

Mike Gilbert:

--- Quote from: Beth C ---. . has anyone else noticed that pullets handle stress better and/or are hardier? Whenever I lose young birds, I seem to lose about twice as many males as females. Just dumb luck? :)
--- End quote ---

Yes, stress no doubt.   By any chance do you raise your pullets with your cockerels?  I do understand how that might happen.

Beth C:
Set myself up for that one, didn\'t I? ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version