Author Topic: South Central District Meet, December 10-11  (Read 13108 times)

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
South Central District Meet, December 10-11
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 03:17:46 PM »
  The 2005 South-Central District Meet is now history.  Michael Muenks from California, Missouri and Angela & I were the only exhibitors of Ameraucanas this year.  Two others had made entries but didn\'t show.  The show barn was full with 3,000 head total at the 2-day show held in Shawnee, Oklahoma.
  The Ameraucanas were judged by Forrest Beauford.  Congratulations to Michael on his LF Silver Cock which won BB (best of breed), Champion Ameraucana and Res. Champion AOSB (All Other Standard Breed).  There were 4 Modern game, 24 black Sumatra, 3 blue Sumatra, 4 Cubalaya, 1 Shamo and 28 Ameraucanas for a total of 64 head in the AOSB Class.  Michael\'s silver hen was RV from the 7 head of silvers shown.  Michael also showed 4 whites with the cock being BV and a pullet RV.  Michael\'s Wheaten cock won BV and his hen was RV defeating our cockerel in the 3 head class of wheatens.  Michael showed the only buff a pullet and Angela and I showed the only blue wheaten a pullet.  We missed Amy Harrison this year in the blue wheaten class!  Speaking of Amy - anyone who has a good blue wheaten cockerel for sale, needs to contact me, as she is in need of one.  There were 6 blacks shown.  Our black cockerel won BV and one of our pullets was RV.  The black cockerel is the best black cockerel that we have ever produced.  He has a pen of pullets waiting for him as soon as he gets out of quarantine.  I\'m eager to get some chicks sired by him.  The blue class also had 6 head.  One of our blue cockerels won RV and the other one won BV, RB (reserve breed) and reserve Ameraucana.
  Michael also showed 12 bantams, some in each variety except silver.  No one else showed bantams this year.  Hopefully that soon will change!  Michael\'s buff cockerel was BV and his cock RV from the 2 shown.  Two black pullets were shown.  Three brown-reds with the cock being BV and RB (reserve breed) and a cockerel winning RV.  Two whites were shown with the cock being RV and the pullet BV and BB.  One blue wheaten cockerel, one wheaten hen and one blue wheaten hen were each BV.
  We had a good time visiting with Michael & Anastasia and other fanciers during the show.  Michael is very knowledgeable of poultry genetics and has some great ideas to help improve some of the varieties of Ameraucanas.  A brief discussion about where to hold our 2006 district meet was held.  I\'m open for suggestions!  All Texas shows are still out, as they are closed to Texas only exhibitors.  The fall show at Sedalia, Missouri is the same week-end as our national meet at Midland,Michigan, so it\'s out also.  It would be best if the show was in the fall.  There are several in Oklahoma with Shawnee being one of the best in our district.
  We also had the priviledge to meeting Thurman Maine from Arizona.  Thurman is going to be breeding black bantams.  Welcome aboard, Thurman.  The Ameraucana breed needs all the help that it can get reproducing and perfecting it\'s 8 recognized varieties, and developing the new ones.  The more birds that are hatched each year, the more progress made, in accomplishing these goals for the Ameraucana breed.
  Angela will post pictures of all the BV as soon as possible.    

Paul Smith

John

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 06:43:55 PM »
Res. Champion AOSB (All Other Standard Breed). There were 4 Modern game, 24 black Sumatra, 3 blue Sumatra, 4 Cubalaya, 1 Shamo and 28 Ameraucanas for a total of 64 head in the AOSB Class.

Not too shabby...not too shabby at all.
Congratulations guys and thank you, Paul, for a great report!

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 09:03:24 PM »
Ameraucana Bantams at the
2005 South-Central District Meet in
Shawnee, Oklahoma
Dec. 10-11
Paul Smith

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 09:16:54 PM »
Large Fowl Ameraucanas at the
2005 South-Central District Meet at Shawnee, Oklahoma
Dec. 10-11
Paul Smith

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 10:15:13 PM »
Nice going guys!   Paul, you\'re right, that is a great looking black cockerel.   Michael\'s silver male must be really great since he came out on top at this show.   There were some impressive looking birds in the lineup.   Michael, a couple of those bantams look familiar - am I right?

Mike G.

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 03:42:09 PM »
It was great meeting you and Michael as well Paul. Sorry that we had to take off before Michael got back on Sunday morning. Still did not get home until after 11pm and had to work the next morning.
I was very impressed with the quality of the birds and the large fowl in particular. The Std Silver Male looked great on Champion row. The Blacks and Blues were very nice as well. But we are only going to have bantams at least in the short term.
Again it was good to meet you folks and your families. Have a great day. Thurman

bantamhill

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 10:31:20 PM »
We had a great time at the show and will go again! I came home with a hurt foot (I am just getting off of a cane!) and the shock of my silver cock going as far as he did . . . it was fun to see how the condition of the birds changes over time. One thing I really like was the same judge judging the bantam and large fowl. Mike alluded to the origins of some of my birds and I need to recognize the efforts of a few people.

For the bantams I had at the show from my own breeding pens came the white bantam pullet, the black bantam pullet, the blue hen, and the brown red cock. The wheaten hen was bred by John Blehm and the blue wheaten cockerel and buff cockerel were bred by Mike Gilbert.

For the large fowl I had at the show the silver cock and wheaten cock were from eggs hatched from Barbara Campbell\'s pens a few years back and the white cock was from the breeding done by John Blehm. The buff pullet is a product of my own efforts.

Thurman, I am sorry I didn\'t get to the show early enough on Sunday to send some black bantams home with you.

I encourage folks in the South Central region to consider this show . . . it is really impressive to see 3000+ birds.

Michael

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 12:38:33 AM »
Quote from: bantamhill
We had a great time at the show and will go again! I came home with a hurt foot (I am just getting off of a cane!) and the shock of my silver cock going as far as he did . . . it was fun to see how the condition of the birds changes over time. One thing I really like was the same judge judging the bantam and large fowl. Mike alluded to the origins of some of my birds and I need to recognize the efforts of a few people.

For the bantams I had at the show from my own breeding pens came the white bantam pullet, the black bantam pullet, the blue hen, and the brown red cock. The wheaten hen was bred by John Blehm and the blue wheaten cockerel and buff cockerel were bred by Mike Gilbert.

For the large fowl I had at the show the silver cock and wheaten cock were from eggs hatched from Barbara Campbell\'s pens a few years back and the white cock was from the breeding done by John Blehm. The buff pullet is a product of my own efforts.

Thurman, I am sorry I didn\'t get to the show early enough on Sunday to send some black bantams home with you.

I encourage folks in the South Central region to consider this show . . . it is really impressive to see 3000+ birds.

Michael

No Micheal. It is I who am sorry. It was the weight of having a 14 hour drive and needing to be up for work at 4am the next morning that made me leave. But every day since I have returned and feed the few birds I picked up at the show I have wished that I had waited and had a few little black bearded birds to feed with the Dottes. I have been telling Ashleigh ( my 8 year old daughter ) that we will be at some point getting some little bearded black bantams that lay light blue eggs....she is most excited. Had a great time at the show and meeting you and your family and the Smith family. Hope the New Year will be good to you. Thurman.