Author Topic: Is this guy an Easter Egger?  (Read 5848 times)

Is this guy an Easter Egger?
« on: December 27, 2005, 11:05:44 PM »
A few months ago, a roo showed up at our house. We never found who he escaped from, so weve kept him. WHen he came to us, he was in the middle of growing back alot of feathers. I dont know if he was moulting or was relieved of them by some animal while making his way to us. EIther way, his new feathers have grown in beautifully and it got me wondering what breed he is.

Anyway, Ive asked everyone I can think of and so far the only ideas Ive gotten where Ameraucauna, Easter Egger and Cubalaya. I have some photos of him here - http://community.webshots.com/album/529810847TQsBmS Hes the same size as my RIR roos and has bright yellow legs, no muff/beard or ear tufts. He has a pea comb and very small wattles. He also has white on his earlopes, not the feathers, but the skin.

I have an Ameraucauna hen who doesnt look anything like him. That coupled with what I know about the breed makes me thinkt hat hes not that. But what ever he is, I love him and think hes awfully pretty.

Anyone have any ideas?

Jes

bantamhill

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005, 09:01:28 AM »
I will suggest he may be a game chicken or of oriental blood . . . there is a resembalance to a Malay.

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 09:52:36 AM »
It looks like an Oriental cross to me too. I doubt it is pure, but depending on where you live it may have been used in a legal or illegal cockfight. Small pits often use mutt birds. If so, that bird is lucky to be alive. He is very heavy in build though and his head looks very much like a Brahma\'s so I doubt he was in a fighting ring.

bantamhill

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 03:01:22 PM »
We had a very similar cock show up at our house a few years ago. He eventually calmed down and became quite the ornament. I eventually sold him with some laying hens . . . I alway\'s assumed he escaped from an illegal fight.

Michael

John

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 06:16:08 PM »
He is a chicken.  I wouldn\'t call him an Easter Egger, unless I had reason to believe he carries a blue egg gene.  

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 07:12:20 PM »
Having spent 25 years with pit games. I\'d say no he\'s definatly not game. they are many things he could be but game  is not one of them..perhaps welsmmer X brahma. right off the top of my head. the size is a definate give away. Chris

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 10:45:58 PM »
this bird looks very much like my big-hatchery- produced blue red cubalaya.  does he walk extremely upright, with his tail held down low? and very broad in the breast?  I have one with a golden head and wing bays also.

John

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 10:28:45 AM »
On this forum, is an easter egger defined as a hybrid bird that carries the gene for blue/green egg color?

Here is the diffinition that the ABC is currently using:
An Easter Egg Chicken or Easter Egger is any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene but doesn’t meet the Ameraucana breed descriptions as found in the APA and/or ABA Standards.  Further, even if a bird meets the Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50 percent of the time it is to be considered an Easter Egg Chicken.  

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005, 10:34:54 AM »
John,

Thank you for answering my question.

Rooster

John

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005, 01:32:58 PM »
I like the way I have it worded on our FAQ page better:
The Ameraucana Breeders Club defines an Easter Egg chicken or Easter Egger as any chicken that possesses the blue egg gene, but doesn’t fully meet any breed descriptions as defined in the APA and/or ABA standards.  Further, even if a bird meets an Ameraucana standard breed description, but doesn’t meet a variety description or breed true at least 50 of the time it is considered an Easter Egg chicken.
The first difinition that I posted was from our last Bulletin.  The problem is that the way it is worded it would include other blue egg laying breeds, like Araucanas, as Easter Eggers and that is not the intention.