Author Topic: LF weight  (Read 3983 times)

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
LF weight
« on: July 23, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »
I have a group of 19 week old LF blacks and am wondering what they ought to weigh at this age. The SOP calls for LF cockerels to weigh 5 1/2 lbs and pullets 4 1/2. Would this be the weight at around 11 months of age? Has anyone used weight as a culling factor for LF?
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

Mike Gilbert

LF weight
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 02:13:19 PM »
I have, but only if they were way underweight, not overweight (unless it was bantams).    For most strains that 5 1/2 lbs should be attainable by six to seven months of age IMHO, but if overcrowding/feeding/disease/stress or similar problems arise it could take longer.

grisaboy

LF weight
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 08:25:52 PM »
I recently read on a breeder\'s website where they weigh the birds at about one year to help determine what to keep.  They weigh the birds at night, with a flashlight.  For one reason, the birds are easier to catch when they are on the roost.  The main reason though is that in the dark they aren\'t as likely to be distracted by other features like how pretty a particular bird is.  Some breeders have made great strides in getting large fowl to standard weight by selecting and keeping the largest birds for breeders.  

Curtis

Cloverleaf Farm

LF weight
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 02:35:50 AM »
Wow - that\'s a great idea if you really need to cull for size!  :)  My big lavender boy (that is now back at Jean\'s, where he started from) weighed in at 6 1/2 lbs at exactly 6 months old.