The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Exhibiting & Promoting

Anyone showing in Virginia this year?

(1/2) > >>

OldChurchEggery:
I realize Virginia is very strict on biosecurity for poultry (I won\'t point fingers, but I have a hunch it has to do with the broiler industry here), nonetheless, is anyone planning to show at the Virginia State Fair at the end of September or the VPBA show in November? I would really like to meet folks from the ABC and see their birds, but with a 4 month old, I won\'t be traveling to the midwest any time soon.

Beth C:
Where is the VPBA show going to be? I might at least come watch.

OldChurchEggery:
It will be held at Meadow Event Park in Caroline County (same place as the State Fair). It\'s the Doswell/Route 30 exit off of 95. I went last year for the first time and really enjoyed it, so I am thinking about exhibiting this go round. I have one Australorp pullet that I think has promise and if I can get my blue Ameraucana hen in good enough condition, I might try her, too.

On that note, any advice for how to improve feather condition in blue? She\'s gotten a faded look to her from the summer sun while roaming the yard. Is three months too short a time frame for conditioning? I\'ve never shown before but would like to.

Mike Gilbert:

--- Quote from: OldChurchEggery --- . . I have one Australorp pullet that I think has promise and if I can get my blue Ameraucana hen in good enough condition, I might try her, too.

On that note, any advice for how to improve feather condition in blue? She\'s gotten a faded look to her from the summer sun while roaming the yard. Is three months too short a time frame for conditioning?
--- End quote ---

She will probably need to go through a molt.  If she shows no inclination to do so, you could try force-molting her.   One way to try that is put her in a dark but well ventilated place for up to a week.   Restrict food and water intake, even withholding feed completely for a few days, and change the feed to something like whole oats. Once the feathers start to fall you can  resume normal feeding practices, but oats are a good feather conditioner.  Make sure she is free of internal and external parasites and in good health before starting the process.

Beth C:
Erica: It\'s a little bit of a haul, then there\'s that whole bio-security thing (truckers used to call VA \"the communist state\" and it still fits w/respect to poultry), but the NC show in Dec. is a straight shot down I95 if you want to bring your blue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version