Author Topic: Female possibly male not sure  (Read 4140 times)

mustangsaguaro

Female possibly male not sure
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:36:58 PM »
I have a 4 1/2 mo old pullet that appears to be showing some male feathers. Specifically saddle feathers. I may just be imagining this but was looking at her today and my other 2 pullets (same age) I have, and they don\'t have the same type of feathers she/he has. She clucks and boks like a female, but these feathers have me stumped. Am I just imagining things? Please tell me it\'s just my eyes playing tricks on me. The other thing I noticed w/ this one is his/her pea comb is more red than the other 2.

Are these saddle feathers I\'m seeing or am I imagining things (above pics)?

Here\'s a pic of his/her face and body so you can see.

Finally here is another pic of one of my other pullets for comparison

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:46:45 PM »
It is a cockerel.   Looks nothing like a pullet to me.

mustangsaguaro

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 06:57:16 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
It is a cockerel.   Looks nothing like a pullet to me.

Thanks for the clarification. The funny thing is I have yet to hear this bird try to crow. You would think at 4 1/2 mos. he would have started crowing by now. Also, as I stated this bird makes noises like the females which really had me stumped. The three that I have are so friendly that they are literally at my feet when I come in there pen. This is the friendliest group of birds I have ever had.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 09:46:36 PM »
Looks like a male to me too, starting to develop long tail feathers and comb is quite large. They can fool you sometimes! Dawn Clifford

Birch Run Farm

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 07:31:40 PM »
Boy!

mustangsaguaro

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
Quote from: tdlclifford
Looks like a male to me too, starting to develop long tail feathers and comb is quite large. They can fool you sometimes! Dawn Clifford

Yes they can. This bird is almost 5 mos old. And for the longest time I was sure it was a pullet. But definitely a male. Hasn\'t started crowing yet. I\'ve heard one or 2 crows from my 3 young males. But seeing I have 3 other adult males figured my young guys weren\'t trying to crow due to my other ones doing it for them. Have any of you experienced that in the past. Cockerels taking a long time to figure out how to crow. It\'s fine w/ me. The quieter they are the better. LOL.

Beth C

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:50:37 PM »
I\'ve noticed the cockerels seem to keep a low profile here, too. Don\'t know if they\'re afraid the older males are going to kill them or I am, but they don\'t seem to go out of their way to call attention to their gender. ;)