Author Topic: Breeding Pens  (Read 9312 times)

Jess

Breeding Pens
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 08:25:13 PM »
Evening Folks.
I have been busy today cleaning and disinfecting my incubators and hatchers.
I am getting ready to set my first test eggs this Saturday.
I want to set about 6-8 eggs from each pen and see if I have a fertility problem with any of the cockerels. All the hens are young and just starting to lay.
I have 3 pens of black hens with splash cockerels and 5 pens of wheatens. I’m using all wheaten cockerels instead of blue, as I have a couple of blue hens in the mix.
Is there any other way to test for fertility than just hatch some eggs?
Egg size has been real good except 2 that have just started laying this week, they are kind of small. Egg color is great, especially in the blacks, a little lighter in the wheatens. But OK. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jess

bantamhill

Breeding Pens
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »
I\'ve had mixed results looking for germ cells . . . sometimes it is obvious and sometimes not from my experience. I will interested in the experiences of others. I can usually tell after about 4 days of incubation.

Michael

John

Breeding Pens
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 09:16:57 AM »
Is there any other way to test for fertility than just hatch some eggs?

There have been some topics on here in the past about how to check to see if eggs are fertile, but I can\'t find them.  Do an internet search for \"hatching egg break out\" and you\'ll find some ideas.
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/pou3580?opendocument

Mike Gilbert

Breeding Pens
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 10:13:12 AM »
Fertility and hatchability are two seperate issues.   You should be able to check fertility by candling the eggs.  Embryo\'s should be very evident by 7 days of incubation, and with practice and experience some can tell within 4 days.   It will depend somewhat on the density and type of blue or brown pigment in the shell.  If both blue and brown are present it will be more difficult.  White eggs would be the easiest.
Hatchability depends upon a multitude of factors, including breeder hen diet, health, storage temps, humidity, etc.

Tailfeathers

Breeding Pens
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 08:59:11 PM »
Quote from: paul
It was my birthday!

Happy Birthday (belated) Paul.  Hopefully I can remember and be on time next year.  Mine is the 26th and my Mom\'s is tomorrow.

Here\'s wishing you many more!

God Bless,

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Breeding Pens
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 07:44:53 AM »
Thanks Royce,

Happy belated birthday to you also.

I didn\'t know that I was ONE day older than you!
Paul Smith