Author Topic: Silver Bantam with special markings  (Read 4842 times)

John

Silver Bantam with special markings
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:12:41 PM »
So what gene is causing these contrasting colors on the tips of some feathers?

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
Since the odd colored feathers correspond with male silvers\' coloring, I would have to say some slight hormonal disorder is causing the problem.   If the problem corrects itself she may be colored normally after molting.  I don\'t believe it is mottling, as that would not cause black tips in the breast area.

John

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 01:23:12 PM »
hormonal

Sounds good to me.  When I first started noticing her I thought I had another male feathered female, but she hasn\'t gone that far.

Beth C

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:33:51 PM »
I had a wheaten pullet come out like that this year. I was curious to see if she would remain that way after molting, but unfortunately she was one of several I lost during Irene. It will be interesting to see what yours does.

John

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 05:44:05 PM »
It will be interesting to see what yours does.

Sorry, but I won\'t keep her that long.  She will go with the next round of culls...when I get around to it.

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 10:41:34 PM »
Interesting.....I have the same thing in a wheaten that came in my shipment this year from you. She was so unique looking I kept her.

John

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:12:55 AM »
the same thing in a wheaten

I think that is mottling showing up because it appears more uniform.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 01:32:37 PM »
Looks like a good candidate to mate with a speckled Sussex if you like the looks of that color in an Ameraucana.   First cross all offspring would have white legs, but males would carry the slate leg gene (id).

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 04:14:43 PM »
cool! I thought she was going to be one of those roo looking hens that John had pop up.   I do like her look and I have a millie d\'anver roo to pair with her.  Might be a nice little project.  ;)

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 03:50:19 PM »
Quote from: John
So what gene is causing these contrasting colors on the tips of some feathers?

I hatched a very similar looking pullet as yours John.  She definitely has mottling going on, and I\'ve been on the fence for a while now whether to keep her or cull her.  

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »
I\'m beginning to wonder if this silver line has been crossed with black?    Strange things can happen when the DNA strands unwind.   Crossovers can occur when a tiny part of one strand bonds to the other strand, and you can end up with something like these pictures depict.  I guess I would only use them as breeders as a very last resort - unless you are shooting for a new/different variety.