Author Topic: Storm Chicks  (Read 3943 times)

Birch Run Farm

Storm Chicks
« on: September 16, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »
Just a few pics of this group.  They are all out of one pair of blue wheatens.  I have a terrible time telling males from females when they are young.  So am not sure what I have here.  They are chowing down on my \'secret\' chick mix which the obviously like.

Born in a storm, they seem to be aquatic. I most often find them in liquid mud.  

I\'ll add more pics as they grow up.  BTW- I believe their Biddy can count.  If one is missing she hauls the rest around looking for the tardy individual.  

Birch Run Farm

Storm Chicks
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 11:50:07 AM »
Just a few new pics showing their progress.  Some have a pretty shade of blue coming in.

Mike Gilbert

Storm Chicks
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 12:05:30 PM »
Looking good Ann.   You can feather sex them soon.   The males will have dark bases to the feathers coming in on the chest area.  The females chests will not have any sign of dark feathering (blue or black).  Actually the ones that are darkest on their backs and wings will probably be males for that matter.

Birch Run Farm

Storm Chicks
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 01:31:54 PM »
Thanks Mike!  I do think I see at least one wheaten boy in there at this point.

OldChurchEggery

Storm Chicks
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »
I\'ve heard mixed reports about pullets maturing over winter months when the days are shorter. Do Ameraucana pullets tend not to be as bothered as high egg-production birds like Leghorns with problems like prolapse? If September is an okay month for hatching, then I might plan on that next year. Since I live in Central Virginia our summers can be brutal and I lost a lot of point-of-lay birds during a heat wave this year.

Birch Run Farm

Storm Chicks
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:49:04 PM »
Erica,

Winters are best described as burtal here where I live.  None of my breeds seem to have issues getting through cold weather even as chicks.  I seem to have better hatches in late summer and early fall for some reason.  I do allow the hens to do the raising if at all possible.  That way cold weather has youngsters with adults to stay close to if needed.

OldChurchEggery

Storm Chicks
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »
Do you notice your fall-hatched chicks laying earlier or later than those hatched in the spring? That was more of what I was getting at. I\'d heard that fall hatching could lead to the pullets laying earlier than normal, sometimes inclining them to prolapse. If it works for you in the far North, though, I might give it a shot down here in VA!

bantamhill

Storm Chicks
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 07:54:15 PM »
I have not had issues with fall hatched pullets in Central Missouri.

Michael