Author Topic: At what age can you start showing birds and have them be competitive  (Read 4902 times)

dixieland

:)
I have read the entry rules for several different shows and am a bit fuzzy on the Cockerel & Pullet classes...Generally, it states that the bird must have been hatched after January 1 of the current year.....
In my mind, and please correct me if I am wrong, I 4 month old bird would not be competitive against a more mature bird of 9, 10 or 11 months of age.....
Is there a general age that most of you wait until to start actively competing with your birds?
How long does the show career of a really topnotch show bird last?

As always, thank you for your information!!

God Bless,

John

At what age can you start showing birds and have them be competitive
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 05:42:30 PM »
Cockerel & Pullet classes

As per the APA standard...
Under one year of age = cockerels & pullets
Over one year of age = cocks & hens

dixieland

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 08:06:42 PM »
Quote from: John
Cockerel & Pullet classes

As per the APA standard...
Under one year of age = cockerels & pullets
Over one year of age = cocks & hens

But, when do  most breeders typically start showing their cocks and pullets? Is there a normal for this breed? Or in the under one year of age class will their be everything from  say 3 months to 11 1/2 months?

What is the youngest age that you would personally enter one of your birds?

and as always, thank you John for your reply!

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
Jes, the best time to show young birds is when they come into full feather and are at the peak of condition.   Typically for a pullet, it is about the time she lays her first egg(s).  Roosters may take a bit longer.    Maturation depends on a number of factors besides the age.   Feed and care, weather/climate/length of day, amount of competition in the rearing pens,  lack of stress, good health or lack thereof, the list goes on.
When all the feathers are in, when the comb and face turns a nice shade of red, . . .  experience will tell you when they are ready.  

John

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 09:20:07 PM »
Is there a normal for this breed?

In general I would say 6 months, but some varieties may mature slower than others also within the breed.  A number like 6 months can help determine when you have to hatch to have birds ready to show by a certain date.

dixieland

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 10:40:46 PM »
Awesome!!! Thank you very much gentlemen!   :D

Just a side note- It is SUCH a pleasure to be a part of something where the focus IS on producing better quality animals in each generation. It is amazing to me how well everyone gets along and is supportive and helpful of each other.

I am a 3rd generation dog breeder/ handler and I only wish that the focus in the world of dogs was still breeding to the standard of perfection and producing healthy sound animals....Regrettably, in the past 10 years we have seen a big turn of the tide, now it\'s all about the amount of money behind the dog and it\'s campaign and the face at the end of the leash....

It will be such a nice change for David & I to travel to a poultry meet and actually be able to relax and have fun and enjoy the time with our chickens and our peers!

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 08:28:37 AM »
I\'m glad to have this guidance, too. The note about a pullet being in best condition right about the same time as laying her first egg is also helpful.

dixieland

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 08:50:47 AM »
Quote from: OldChurchEggery
I\'m glad to have this guidance, too. The note about a pullet being in best condition right about the same time as laying her first egg is also helpful.

We are so blessed to be involved with a breed with such experienced talented breeders who are willing to share their experience, wisdom and knowledge with newcomers!

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 09:53:58 AM »
Awww shucks.  T\'warnt nuthin.  That glow I saw in the east this morning means . . . John, were you blushing?

dixieland

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 09:58:25 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Awww shucks.  T\'warnt nuthin.  That glow I saw in the east this morning means . . . John, were you blushing?

Comments like this are going to ruin your Grumpy Old Man persona, Mike  :p

Tailfeathers

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »
Just had to jump in and say thanks for the chuckle Mike!  You\'re a riot!

And btw, I do agree with Mike and John.  I think our show catalog even says they need to be at least 6 months old.  You can usually tell whether they are show worthy.  All in all, I want my cockerels and pullets to look pretty much like an adult.  The difference being they have a bit more of a girlish or boyish look to them.  If they look like they\'re still maturing, I wouldn\'t take them - personally speaking.

God Bless,

dixieland

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »
Quote from: Tailfeathers
Just had to jump in and say thanks for the chuckle Mike!  You\'re a riot!

And btw, I do agree with Mike and John.  I think our show catalog even says they need to be at least 6 months old.  You can usually tell whether they are show worthy.  All in all, I want my cockerels and pullets to look pretty much like an adult.  The difference being they have a bit more of a girlish or boyish look to them.  If they look like they\'re still maturing, I wouldn\'t take them - personally speaking.

God Bless,

Thank you!! I so appreciate all of you who are being so helpful!