Author Topic: Sun-bleached  (Read 2337 times)

Beth C

Sun-bleached
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »
My birds spend a lot of time outdoors, and their plumage shows it, especially on the buffs. I didn\'t realize how sun-bleached they were until I looked at them side-by-side with the ones who have been kept entirely indoors. Other than keeping them up & hoping they molt sooner rather than later, is there anything that can help?

Mike Gilbert

Sun-bleached
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
You could force molt, but I would not recommend it.   You could die their feathers, but I sure would not recommend that either, especially if you intend to show them.  The best course of action is to let them molt naturally, then avoid making the same mistake in the future.   Or you could swith to wheatens and blue wheatens;  in them a little sun bleaching actually helps the coloring in the females and does not seem to affect the males much if at all.

Beth C

Sun-bleached
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:58:06 PM »
I noticed that - the wheatens & blue wheatens look pretty good. The blacks, which I thought would fade the worst, look ok, the lavenders aren\'t any worse than they ever were, but the buffs look terrible. Guess they get the prime real-estate from here on out...