Author Topic: How important is a full color bulletin?  (Read 4910 times)

bantamhill

How important is a full color bulletin?
« on: November 12, 2011, 07:02:54 AM »
I am interested in how much Club members value the full-color bulletin.

Thanks!

Michael

John

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 10:43:13 AM »
full-color bulletin

It is much more attractive, but not needed if $ is a problem.
I think all photos should be in color, but text and all graphics/clip art could be black to save on toner/ink/printer costs.
You could continue as is, in full color, for all emailed Bulletins and do as suggested above for those you mail out viz USPS.
Just my thoughts...

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:53:03 PM »
I think people really like to see color, especially for photos of birds and people.   For a smaller club like CFI, we limit the color to the front and back of a single page except for rare special issues.  The rest is black and white, and we seem to be gaining more members than we are losing.

Cloverleaf Farm

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 02:43:22 PM »
Have to agree, color is nice for pictures of birds, especially certain varieties (like blue wheaten).  I like the idea of color for electronic and b&w for those that are mailed.  It will likely prompt more people to go electronic and save the club more postage. :)

grisaboy

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »
I think color is important, especially for photos of varieties and egg color.  If black and white is necessary, perhaps could have a reference (LINK) to full color version on the website.  Since the Forum is members only, that would be a good place for the full color copy.

Curtis

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 07:13:34 PM »
Color is more attractive but can be expensive as previously mentioned. Color photos of the birds is helpful but the text portion can certainly be in black and white.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms

John

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 07:59:14 PM »
Back in the old days...
The Bulletins were boring looking compared to the Bulletins today, but black on white was cheap.  After awhile I started adding one color page of photos each year and it cost 80 cents to a $1 just for that page way back then.
I really think you could continue with the full color layout as you are now...email it to members that want it that way.
Decide on one page in each issue that will be color...I think Barbara and Don printed the the front page in color...and the Bulletins that get sent in the Mail would be black & white with one color page (maybe color on both sides?).  
This would cut printing costs, due to the higher price for color toner/ink and save on postage since more members would opt for email (I think).
You would still be sending out a Bulletin that is superior to any others that I know of.

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 09:35:43 AM »
I really like seeing the color pictures.

Tailfeathers

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 09:45:17 PM »
I agree 100% with both of John\'s post.  

And, if I\'ve not previously let it be know, you may email me my bulletin.  I can then just print off those portions I want to keep on file or whatever.

God Bless,

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 10:22:52 AM »
Color just adds interest.  If the bulletin could be sent via email that would be fine by me.

Beth C

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 10:13:37 AM »
A little late, but I agree with what most people have said. Color photos of birds are nice, especially when you live in an area where Ameraucanas are few and far between. Pictures of other members birds are all I have to compare mine with, since, even at a show, I\'m not likely to see another one of the same variety.

For cost cutting, e-bulletins are definitely the way to go. I love John\'s idea - and include the message: To see this in full color, sign up to receive it electronically. Also, maybe an e-mail can be sent to all members about a week before each bulletin is printed, reminding them of the benefits of going electronic - full color, immediate delivery, easier to store, easier to organize, easier to reference (ever go through a stack of old magazines trying to find *that* article and wish you had a search button?), being able to find your  counter/desk, etc. Some people will always prefer hard copies, but I think there is a general trend toward electronic.

Jess

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 10:50:33 AM »
Morning
folks,
I really like the electronic bulletins,
I have each one that I receive stored and it is real easy to go back and look at them, It is much easier than trying to keep up with the paper ones.
And if there is something that I want a copy of, I can just print it out.
I will turn 66 Saturday, but I\'m still learning  about the computer age.
But I think it will be a cost saver to E-Mail to all that will accept it.
Just my humble opinion.
Jess

John

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 01:24:45 PM »
Happy Birthday Jesse. B)
Mike\'s birthday is coming up on Tuesday.
I remember an old pastor once told me \"Your age has a lot to do with when you were born\".  

Beth,
I hope all is well with you...nice to see your comments again.

Beth C

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
Thanks, John! All is well, just some computer issues, which still aren\'t totally resolved, but she\'s holding together for the moment... fingers crossed...

Just in case, Happy Birthday in advance to Jesse & Mike!