The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Breeding

Link under \"Out-crossing\" topic- Mahogany

(1/2) > >>

OldChurchEggery:
I followed the link John posted in the Out-crossing discussion and now I have a question about your experiences with Mahogany. From the description of the characteristics, I think I may be seeing this in a cockerel that appeared wheaten as a chick. I\'m going to take a picture this weekend of what I have but in the meantime I\'d be curious what other folks know about Mahogany and how it might work its way into a wheaten line. The cockerel in question looks very much like the sample image but with more red in the breast.

John:

--- Quote ---experiences with Mahogany. From the description of the characteristics, I think I may be seeing this in a cockerel that appeared wheaten as a chick.
--- End quote ---

I don\'t think I\'ve ever seen Mahogany (Mh) in wheaten Ameraucanas.  It is a dominant gene, so I don\'t believe any breeder would breed from a bird showing it.  
Do you know if the cockerel is wheaten or just \"appeared\" so as a chick?  If not wheaten, what are the other possibilities?
Play with the Kip calculator to try to determine his genes from his phenotype.  

OldChurchEggery:
Is it appropriate to say on the forum where he came from if he came from someone here? I think he\'s very interesting looking and since I have the space, I\'m planning to keep him with some hatchery EEs I have just to see what comes of him.

Mike Gilbert:
How about a photo?    My curiosity is piqued!

John:

--- Quote ---Is it appropriate to say on the forum where he came from if he came from someone here?
--- End quote ---

I would think so, if it pertains to the topic...as long as we don\'t have to bring tar and feathers.  
Either way, photos would be nice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version