The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Exhibiting & Promoting

showing questions

(1/1)

mustangsaguaro:
I have 2 pullets that I plan on showing in my area in Jan. at 2 separate shows.  I have never been to a show before but have read some stuff on what types of things to do before the show.

My biggest question is the 2 birds I plan on showing they don\'t get handled a lot. They are in a coop w/ a few other birds. My question is do I need start handling them now or what needs to be done? Also do I need to cage train them as well? If so what is the best way to cage train them? I don\'t have any smaller cages so will have to get some to be able to do that. But how long before a show would I want to start cage training them and how long of a time frame would I keep them in the cage(s)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cloverleaf Farm:
A lot of people cage train their birds, but I don\'t.  I haven\'t found it to be an issue. ;)  Those that do say two weeks, at least from what I have read...

faith valley:
Hre is an articleon cage training.. kind of a step by step method that works wonderfully.

http://faithvalleywaterfowl.com/art_of_cage_training.html

It is important to individually pen your show birds for at least 6 to 8 weeks prior to showing them.   This will insure the bird stays in great shape... doesn\'t get feather damage or pooed on.  It also gives the bird time to regrow any damaged feathers that you needed to remove.

Tailfeathers:
I have not taken the time to cage train my birds either though if one had the time I have to believe it would help set your birds apart from others.  I read an article once, I think in the PP, where someone trained their bird to strike a certain pose whenever he whistled or snapped his fingers or something.  He\'d do that whenever he saw a judge go before his bird.  

As for how much to handle your birds, that I would say probably depends upon the individual bird.  There are some birds I have that I wouldn\'t need to handle at all.  I can walk over and pick them up and they don\'t make any ruckus at all.  Others are more excitable and I\'d want to handle them more if I were taking those to a show.

There\'s a whole lot of others on here with vast more experience than I though.  Hopefully they\'ll chime in.

God Bless,

dixieland:
Kim- Thanks for posting this topic. This is great information for us also!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version