Author Topic: HerSHE  (Read 25551 times)

HerSHE
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »
I\'ll let you know in the fall  ;) .  I have D\'anvers for one specific reason....and it\'s not beacuse they are super cute; that\'s just a bonus

Korfus Kluckers

HerSHE
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Lyne, what may be boring to one person may be eye candy to another.   I happen to feel the brown reds are the most attractive of all the varieties we have, plus it has the advantage of being a real challenge to reproduce correctly in high percentages.   To me, solid white and solid black are the most boring - but I don\'t expect others to necessarily agree.

I love the brown reds and think they are a very striking variety. To my surprise there are very few breeders, same with the silvers LF I am not sure about bantams?
With Mottled and Cuckoo I have yet to see any with true slate legs. Might be possible to get on females but I highly doubt getting them on a male. Slate legs are a characteristic of the breed? Right, or am I mistaken?

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
HerSHE
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2012, 04:11:49 PM »
What is \"true slate\"?  That is a good question.

Are buffs true slate if they are not slate at hatching, but darken later?  This is a recognized variety, but the slate looks different to me.

Are slate spots on a barred or mottled bird true slate (with color inhibitors)?

Are black legs truly slate (slate with black extenders causing the legs to be black)?

Is the chocolate dilution of black that causes the slate leg to have a chocolate cast, still slate?

What about lavender that dilutes the slate to light slate?
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

John

HerSHE
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 04:59:11 PM »
What is \"true slate\"?

Slate, the rock, can be gray, green, or bluish but the APA definition that we have to go by says...
SLATE: A shade of gray having a bluish cast sometimes approaching black, sometimes of lighter shades.

Are buffs true slate if they are not slate at hatching, but darken later?

Sure, because only adult birds are judged to the standard.

Mike Gilbert

HerSHE
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 06:28:31 PM »
Some of this discussion reminds me of the Clinton years.
\"What is meant by \'is\'?    What is meant by \'the\'?  Slate is comprised of a dark dermis, and an epidermis that is clear shading to dark depending on feather color and e locus.   It is not spotted dark and light, but dark throughout, varying from light slate to black.   There are a great plenty of varieties that could be developed (or improved) without running into shank color issues at all, so why not concentrate on them instead of beating our heads against a brick wall?   With that said, it may very well be possible to break the genetic linkage with B that prevents a dark dermis, but it will take a tremendous concerted effort.   For example, one person from South America believes that if Fm (fibromelanosis) is included (the primary gene that makes a Silkie\'s skin black) in a bird that is pure for Id (light dermis) you can produce a dark shanked bird with B (barring).  Is it worth it to find out?   Not to me it isn\'t, but each person can decide for themselves.  More power to anyone who succeeds.

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
HerSHE
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2012, 08:34:20 PM »
My mind remains open, so open that I believe stuff is falling out and lost forever.  

I have an accidental barred Am cross if anyone is interested in him.  Cuckoo marans and Black/Lav split.  No slate spots but a very light slate undercolor.  (I\'m not working on the barred.)
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
HerSHE
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2012, 11:06:16 AM »
I hatched two LF chocolate project chicks this weekend.

Jean

dixieland

HerSHE
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2012, 10:47:51 PM »
Woo Hoo!!!! Very excited about the chocolate project coming over to LF   :stare:

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
Re: HerSHE
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2012, 01:52:42 PM »
Updated picture of a bantam chocolate project pullet and some of the eggs I am getting from them.  The two eggs on the bottom of the photo are from pure bantam blacks, the four on top are from the chocolates.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:57:01 PM by Jean »
Jean

Korfus Kluckers

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2012, 01:25:40 AM »
Updated picture of a bantam chocolate project pullet and some of the eggs I am getting from them.  The two eggs on the bottom of the photo are from pure bantam blacks, the four on top are from the chocolates.

She is coming along nicely!

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »
A couple of second generation LF Chocolate project chicks:

Jean