Author Topic: Outlaw  (Read 6296 times)

Jess

Outlaw
« on: December 11, 2011, 02:09:05 PM »
Evening folks,
I wonder why this outlaw, scourge of the air, is protected so as he can raid my chicken yard when ever he wants to.
I think  this is one of the nuttiest laws I have ever seen.
MHO
Jess

Beth C

Outlaw
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 04:22:47 PM »
What did he get?

John

Outlaw
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »
\"Shoot, Shovel & Shut-up\"

jerryse

Outlaw
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 09:15:49 AM »
If you are lucky enough to know someone with a permit they can live trap it.Last year a red tail got into one of my pens and a local hawk man came and got him.

ParadiseFoundFarm

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Outlaw
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 11:12:36 AM »
Friday, I got a coyote.  I\'m a good shot.  As far as I\'m concerned, thoses are coyotes that fly.  A threat to my livelihood, a threat to my stock, a threat to my farm.   Practice your shootin\',  be safe, then SSS.
Denise Baker
Paradise Found Farm
        Joliet, IL

Tailfeathers

Outlaw
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 09:21:35 PM »
Quote from: John

LOL!   :D

My problem here is with mostly Bald Eagles and the occasional Golden Eagle.  A fair size difference between the chicken hawk.  And the potlickers just sit up in a tree and look at me.  Until recently.

I had thought (but for a second) about John\'s SSS solution.  But then thought again.  I can just imagine the Fed\'s showing up at my door one day and saying, \"Uh, Mister Van Blaricome, do you mind if we take a little look at the corner of your property?  See we got this transmitter on a Bald Eagle that hasn\'t moved in a couple of weeks.\"  Or maybe, \"Uh, Mr. Van Blaricome can you explain this shallow grave at the back of your property with a dead eagle in it?\"

So for now I am content with blowing a canned air horn or popping off a shotgun into the air.  I\'ve heard tell that paint guns work wonders though.  Gonna have to look at maybe one as a Christmas present to myself.

God Bless,

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Outlaw
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:07:45 PM »
  My opinion is we don\'t need any of them to be breeders that don\'t know the difference between, chickens and what they are suppose to eat snakes, mice, rats, gophers, etc...
  SSS!!!
Paul Smith

Mike Gilbert

Outlaw
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »
Quote from: Tailfeathers

My problem here is with mostly Bald Eagles and the occasional Golden Eagle.  A fair size difference between the chicken hawk.  And the potlickers just sit up in a tree and look at me. . .   I\'ve heard tell that paint guns work wonders though.  Gonna have to look at maybe one as a Christmas present to myself.

Royce, be sure to use red, white, and blue paint!

Beth C

Outlaw
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »
Royce, be sure to use red, white, and blue paint!

LOL! I\'ve also heard of using fireworks to scare them off, assuming they\'re legal where you are.

Knock on wood I haven\'t had a problem, although I have lots of hawks & owls around, and even the occasional eagle. I have a family of broad wings who\'ve pretty much taken up residence (although they\'re supposed to be migratory), but they are a small species & eat mostly mice & lizards.

I\'m w/Royce on SSS - I don\'t have anything here that\'s worth 6 months in jail. Well, nothing a hawk can carry off, anyway.  ;) I like Jerry\'s idea - people who work with raptors are generally happy to do what they can to keep a bird out of trouble.

Beth C

Outlaw
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 09:35:42 AM »
Jess, you haven\'t posted anything since this - how bad did he get you?  :(

dixieland

Outlaw
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 06:56:27 PM »
Jess
  We are in the south.....S S S is a given here... Even my Mama who has been a city girl for the first 60 years of her life has taken a liking to my 20 gauge double barrel shotgun....
 Nothing is going to hurt my flock without serious repercussions....

OldChurchEggery

Outlaw
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 08:29:24 AM »
Quote from: Tailfeathers
Quote from: John

I had thought (but for a second) about John\'s SSS solution.  But then thought again.  I can just imagine the Fed\'s showing up at my door one day and saying, \"Uh, Mister Van Blaricome, do you mind if we take a little look at the corner of your property?  See we got this transmitter on a Bald Eagle that hasn\'t moved in a couple of weeks.\"  Or maybe, \"Uh, Mr. Van Blaricome can you explain this shallow grave at the back of your property with a dead eagle in it?\"

Do be forewarned- a fair number of raptors do have tracking and tagging devices on them, especially if you live near a marine habitat of any kind. I support the Center for Conservation Biology at the College of William & Mary in its grant and contract negotiations and that group is tagging and tracking bald eagles, ospreys, owls, and other birds for both the government and private industry. If you follow any of the wind energy news, a number of studies are being conducted on the impact of wind farms on bird activities including reproduction and migration. That includes affixing transmitters to the study birds. Our group recently went to Guadeloupe (a French-owned island in the Caribbean) to recover a transmitter that was on a bird called a Whimbrel that had been shot in a marsh there. The transmitters cost into the thousands of dollars, so researchers definitely keep a close eye on their whereabouts! Many of the tracking devices also transmit data to online websites so classrooms on Virginia\'s Eastern Shore participating in the outreach program can watch what \"their\" birds are doing.

If you live in an area that hosts populations of purple Martins, you can encourage them to live near your property (and chase off birds of prey) by putting Martin houses or gourds up on a high pole.

ParadiseFoundFarm

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Outlaw
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 09:33:16 AM »
[/quote]

If you live in an area that hosts populations of purple Martins, you can encourage them to live near your property (and chase off birds of prey) by putting Martin houses or gourds up on a high pole. [/quote]

Great Advise!  I have martins on my farm who house I have no idea where and I\'m going to put up a house next spring.  Thank you!
Denise Baker
Paradise Found Farm
        Joliet, IL