Author Topic: Light Vs. Dark Blue Wheaten  (Read 7753 times)

Tailfeathers

Light Vs. Dark Blue Wheaten
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:35:12 PM »
If it were me and I were just starting, I\'d mate both to all my females and see what I wound up with.  That\'s pretty much what I did.  Then learn from there from the results.

But Mike is right, be sure to toe-punch or at least find some way of PERMANENTLY identifying offspring from both males.

Ideally, you would want to breed full blood sisters to one male and say toe-punch them #1 and then wait 2-3wks, check for infertility, and then put the same females under the second male and toe-punch them #2.  I\'d try to hatch at least a dozen of each and grow them all up to see what the results are.

Hope that helps.

God Bless,

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
I personally wouldn\'t use the bird with the enamel white.  It is a DQ, and why breed a bird with a known DQ when you have one that does not.

You could keep him as back up until you get some nice chicks on the ground.  The darker bird is a nicer bird all around also.

My opinion is that you would just be reinforcing this gene in the line.  The egg color in the wheaten varieties in my opinion is very good, comparable or even better than some of the blacks.

But, that\'s what I would do.
Jean

Tailfeathers

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 10:47:29 PM »
I agree with Jean \"if\" he has enamel.  From the description it sounds more like what I\'m used to seeing which is more of the whitish, fleshy looking color.

That can be worked with and improved upon without too much trouble.

God Bless,