Author Topic: egg color  (Read 9735 times)

egg color
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 11:11:21 AM »
Thanks John, I will get ahold of Paul and Barbara and please email me if you have anything that you think will work for me.
Also anybody else that might have some good egg color in their LF blacks, blues or whites.

egg color
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 11:26:33 AM »
P.S.
If you will go to my website and look at the photo on the top of my Ameraucana page you will see 4 eggs of varying color.  
Depending on how your computer shows the colors because I know it can vary...the only one that I feel is good color is 2nd from the right.
The others are shades of green from very faded, almost white to drab olive green although its not that dark olive green its still drab green.

http://www.freewebs.com/cottage_rose_birdsnblossoms/ameraucanachickens.htm

The 2nd photo on the same page was enhanced slightly but the bluest eggs on the top were from some silvers I got from John 4-5 years ago that I no longer have.

Can we discuss the eggs colors shown in the first photo so we can find out if we are all on the same page?
I would especially like to know what you old timer Am. breeders have to say regarding egg color in the photo.

Sorry...I didn\'t mean to change the subject on this thread.  
John if you want to copy the egg color comments/replies and put them into a new  thread on egg color please feel free.

egg color
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2006, 02:41:55 PM »
Maybe this photo will get a response from somebody.  
As you can see in this photo it shows 2 green eggs.  These are from Ameraucanas not EEL.  The pale blue eggs in my opinion are very nice color.  These were from some Silvers I no longer have. So this is what I mean by green eggs and what I have been getting so far in the blacks and blues I have personally owned is predominantly pale to medium green not blue eggs.  If anybody has any LF blacks and blues with pale blue (like in this photo) or blue-green eggs on a somewhat consistant basis please mail me.
Any input on this topic appreciated.

egg color
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2006, 03:38:48 PM »
My Blacks have always layed only pale to medium blue, never green. I still have two older hens that are about eight years old that lay an egg every other day of perfect coloration. I don\'t add outside cocks for fear of adding birds of green egg descent, but I do add outside blue egg hens once in awhile. So far, so good on the blacks!

I had some issues with a white cock\'s offspring awhile ago but since then I have managed to cull out the green egger lines.

I never realized there was an issue with egg color. I thought most purebreds layed nice eggs. Guess I\'ve been very lucky the whole time without realizing it.

egg color
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2006, 06:19:59 PM »
Ameraucana MD...So where did you get yours from?
Can you post photos of your eggs?

By the way I want to clarify that the white and brown eggs in the photos were NOT laid by Ameraucanas!

egg color
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 08:06:02 AM »
Local breeder named Eric something of Severna Park. The phone # I have for him is disconnected. As soon as I get my directory I was going to check and see if he was in it. I don\'t know what stock he has now if he still has any fowl.

I will get some photos as soon as they start laying again. Some Minorcas are laying, but that\'s about it at the moment.

egg color
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 09:16:54 PM »
Okay!  That will be cool!  :D

egg color
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 12:47:24 PM »

as to the \"willow\" legg color, not all brown egg breeds have yellow skin, their are many that are white skinned, these don\'t creat willow leggs when used in out crosses, so might be a possibility in not gringing in another undesired trait, which by the way I think breeding out the willow leggs is by far the hardest thing to perfect. we are at 6 generations out, and still have them pop up occasionaly