Author Topic: Power outage!!!  (Read 10061 times)

Beth C

Power outage!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 09:35:00 AM »
Quote from: Sharon Yorks
\"the Bra Incubator.\" That wouldn\'t work for me. I\'m wanting to hatch LF   :)

Sharon

You\'re too funny! I read that thread once - craziest thing I ever heard. :o

Mike Gilbert

Power outage!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
I don\'t go to BYC or whatever it is, but I do know Chinese women used to hatch chicks by \"wearing\" eggs next to their body.   I never asked which part.  

Beth C

Power outage!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »
I don\'t visit BYC much either, but a friend sent me the link. I believe it was a high-schooler\'s science project. If I recall it made it most of the way but quit a few days shy of hatching. Not surprising considering the human body is several degrees cooler than the ideal incubation temperature, but you have to admire her effort. I\'m pretty sure at that age my attention span was considerably less than 3 weeks...

Mike Gilbert

Power outage!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2012, 06:14:49 PM »
98.6 versus 99.5?   It worked for the Chinese!  Maybe it took an extra day?

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Power outage!!!
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
If I remember correctly 98º is what is recommended for a still air incubator!
Paul Smith

Beth C

Power outage!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2012, 11:16:03 AM »
I always thought you went a little higher in a still air to compensate for the layering effect. The directions that came with mine said 100. But I guess the bra thing would be different since the eggs would be in direct contact with the, er, heat source...

John

Power outage!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2012, 12:12:30 PM »
If I remember correctly 98º is what is recommended for a still air incubator!

I think Beth is closer and as I recall it was about 103º...just checked my old \"A Guide To Better Hatching\" and it says between 100 and 103.  It also says the egg is 107º as it comes from the hen.

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Power outage!!!
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2012, 07:50:06 AM »
Oops I goofed on this one!  Amazing how much one can forget in 16 years time!  I like Beth Curran\'s slogan
\"I\'m not getting forgetful, I\'m just accumulating more to remember...
Paul Smith

Beth C

Power outage!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 09:01:52 AM »
Paul: That was the retort my dad shot back at me when, as a teenager, I teased him about forgetting something. Even at that age I knew that was one to file away! And he was absolutely right. He was in his 70\'s by then, retired from both the army and the VA Medical center (as a dental technician), a darn good amateur photographer, an avid fly fisherman who had taught the sport to many people, competitive marksman who also raised and trained hunting dogs... and I was just figuring out a stick-shift... ;)