Author Topic: Automatic Watering Systems  (Read 3093 times)

dixieland

Automatic Watering Systems
« on: January 22, 2012, 12:15:19 AM »
Here is an info request from David regarding the low pressure automatic watering systems.....He is looking to add them to the play yards in the breeding area for warm weather use.

1. Which kind do you use?
2. Pros/ Cons of above
3. Any other advice or input?

Thanks in advance!
 Jes

bryngyld

• ABC Members
  • Associate
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bryngyld.com
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 02:15:11 AM »
I like the dog water bowl style.  They are easy to clean out and inexpensive.  If chicks have access to it I put a rock in it to make sure they can get out if they fall in.  I don\'t normally use it for the brooder pen.

I do have an automatic waterer with a shallow dish that I bought at a poultry show, but it seems to clog up all the time.
Lyne Peterson
Northern California

jerryse

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:23:02 AM »
I like the cup style and the chick base for chicks.The nipple style are ok for outside but tend to drip a little.I have found that  extreme temp changes in summer can cause air to get into the system and cause it to fail.You have take it apart progressivly to get the air out.I think a adjustable pressure reducer will cure this.There is not enough pressure to push the air out.The air seems to be pulled in through the vent on the pressure reducer when the warmed water contracts as it cools.It may be coming through the drinkers.A little more pressure should prevent this.I have not tried this yet.The chick base can become clogged with feed but frequent dumping prevents this.Morning and evening works for me.

dixieland

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »
Thanks for the input!!!  :D