Author Topic: Educational seminar for the Nationals  (Read 3401 times)

dixieland

Educational seminar for the Nationals
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:54:38 PM »
You guys have an amazing knack of explaining this and making it so very easily understood (unlike the books I am reading and re reading)
That is why I think it would be awesome for a couple of you to put together a very impromptu and casual educational seminar for the Nationals.... Us newbies would be super appreciative!
What do you think??
If you want a powerpoint, and send me the info and pix and I will pull it all together and send it back to you for review and editing....

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:14:52 PM »
Sure, but you would have to be a little specific with what you want to see covered in a presentation.   Something that is too open ended might miss the mark as to what is expected and wanted.

dixieland

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:30:48 PM »
OK- Here are two of the titles I have done for the dog clubs over the years that might be very applicable to our group:

The Next Generation This might include selecting breeders for your pens, choosing the best eggs to set, evaluating chicks from day old and as they grow....It might go into some odd recessives that pop up occasionally and how to identify them...Finally CULLING- how often and what criteria should be used...

The State of the Breed This is usually done after judging. The top award winners are taken out and presented by their owners---each owner can name up to three of the animal\'s best attributes and AT LEAST one area where they would like to see improvement. At the end of presentation- The Gurus would discuss general ideas to make the improvements discussed earlier.

--------------------
Here are some other thoughts--
The Genetics and Theory of producing a Proper Blue Egg

All About Project Colors

---------------------

I\'m probably not the only interested in this---what would everyone else like to learn about in an ABC educational seminar if it were to be held in conjunction with the Nationals?

John

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »
FYI...
Mike (Mr. Ameraucana) and Jim Fegan (ABC member & APA judge) put on a seminar at a national several years ago.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 08:31:25 PM by John »

dixieland

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:38:14 PM »
It seems like scheduling something like that over the course of the Nationals give the most opportunity for attendance...If we have it put together in PP format, it\'s very easy to put up on our web page so that those who could not attend can still benefit from it....
There are so many finer points to learn to successfully breed birds that are true to the standard, and you guys are WONDERFUL teachers!