Author Topic: Culling chicks  (Read 12940 times)

jerryse

Culling chicks
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
Cracked me up.Thanks for the chuckle.

Christie Rhae

Culling chicks
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 08:55:18 PM »
Well, I culled birds.  Last week I had to put down a 4 day old chick.  I cried.
Today my husband and I butchered 3 cockerels.  My husband killed them and I did everything else.  Wow that was heavy.

I feel quite a sense of accomplishment now.  I have never even seen anything killed before except for fish.  I do feel more prepared for hatching and growing up lots of chicks for my blue laced project now though.  If I cannot sell the culls as Easter Eggers I will be able to use them to either feed my dogs or family (depending on size of bird).

Whew....

dixieland

Culling chicks
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 09:01:44 PM »
Quote from: Christie Rhae
Well, I culled birds.  Last week I had to put down a 4 day old chick.  I cried.
Today my husband and I butchered 3 cockerels.  My husband killed them and I did everything else.  Wow that was heavy.

I feel quite a sense of accomplishment now.  I have never even seen anything killed before except for fish.  I do feel more prepared for hatching and growing up lots of chicks for my blue laced project now though.  If I cannot sell the culls as Easter Eggers I will be able to use them to either feed my dogs or family (depending on size of bird).

Whew....

Culling is never easy, but it sounds like you have everything in pretty good perspective out there! Can\'t wait to see how the Blue Laced project evolves!!!!