Author Topic: Feed Prices  (Read 8380 times)

Mike Gilbert

Feed Prices
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »
In January I kinda went into \"sticker shock\" when the local co-op charged me $16.25 for a 50# bag of chick starter.  I just found basically the same feed (20%, medicated) at another place for $12.85, so I guess it pays to shop.   I have my breeder feed custom mixed at the same place.   I\'m paying $10.19 for a 50# bag (got 675 lbs) that works out to about 19.75% protein.  It\'s basically corn, layer concentrate, alfalfa meal, and fish meal.    How does that compare to what others are paying?

John

Feed Prices
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:52:40 PM »
I just bought feed last week.  It was a ton of Kalmbach Game Bird Breeder mini pellets and 1/2 ton of 20% non-medicated startergrower for a total of $739.47 or $12.32/bag average.  I don\'t have the break down of which cost the most, just the total that includes a volume discount plus 6% sales tax for the state.  I was happy with the price after paying much more per bag for a few bags of starter at TSC and seeing their other prices on feed.

dixieland

Feed Prices
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:59:54 PM »
We are paying $10.50 per 50# bag of the 22% gamebird breeder formula we use, $8.95 per #50 bag of 5 grain scratch w/ kelp granules in it and $11.00 per #50 bag of non medicated chick starter....

John

Feed Prices
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »
$10.50 per 50# bag of the 22% gamebird breeder

Wow, those are great prices compared to any in this area.

dixieland

Feed Prices
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »
One of the few small benefits of living in a small town and being married to a man who is related to everyone is getting all of our animal feed delivered and at cost.
 :D

However. I would have traded that benefit for high speed Internet, which only came here a year ago!!! Really, I thought everywhere in the free world had reliable highspeed service....It is a novelty here, not a neccesity.... (Oops, the Jersey girl in me is trying to come out....Better go to bed!)

Tailfeathers

Feed Prices
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 11:39:28 PM »
I just paid $19 a bag for #50 Purina Medicated Chick Starter and about $17.50 for Layer Pellets.  I get the Payback pellets because they\'re smaller than Purina and I\'m still boycotting Purina as much as I can for removing their coupons from the PP.

I didn\'t have to buy any Gamebird Startena this month but last month it was almost $21 for #50 bag.  Flock Raiser is $19.50 a bag and, believe it or not, SCRATCH is $16.50 a bag!!!!

I\'m five minutes away from a Co-Op that I joined since it saves me $$ on gas, is close by and convenient, and I get a kickback at the end of every year.

But after reading Mike\'s post, I may just have to do some shopping around myself now.    I don\'t know if I\'m saving anything or not now.

God Bless,

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Feed Prices
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 12:29:13 AM »
Pen Pal medicated 18% chick starter/grower is $15.25, and for the older birds, I\'ve been mixing my own feed (16.35%) but it\'s too late and I\'m too tired to do the math right now on the prices of all of the ingredients and batches per bag, but I have recently starting adding a little of the Pen Pal Egg Maker 16% pellet which is $14.25. I just started mixing in the Pen Pal last week, so it\'s still too soon to tell if I like it or not. They do really well on the other mixture, just time consuming having to mix all the time.  

I\'ve often wondered what everyone else is feeding. Thanks for starting this, Mike.

--Sharon
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Feed Prices
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:48:33 AM »
Wow, what a varience in feed prices. I am paying 13.85 for a 18% egg layer at a local coop. That\'s down from 14.50 a month ago. Purina flock raiser is 15.50. These are all 50# bag prices. I hate having to recalculate when you have to start figuring in 40# bags. Sometimes I think my birds eat better than me.
Gordon Gilliam

OldChurchEggery

Feed Prices
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 10:07:06 AM »
I buy from Southern States (that\'s the co-op here) and a 50 lb bag of chick starter is $13.99. I bought a bag of game bird feed and that was almost $15. They occasionally will do promotions of different feeds, so a 50lb bag of multi-stock sweet feed was $8.50 last time I went. The cow and the donkey like that as well as anything else and I don\'t have to worry about it containing something formulated for ruminants that would make the donkey sick. Too bad its multi-stock nature doesn\'t extend to meet poultry needs or it\'d be a good, cheap feed for the flock.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Feed Prices
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
I buy through a Co-op up here and am still paying through the nose!!!  I generally get a discount because I buy by the ton.

Start N Grow - $14.26
Flock Raiser - $14.47
Layena - $13.25
Layena 20% - $13.84 (only available local)
Gamebird breeder - $14.98

Needless to say at the beginning of the year I had 308 birds.  I am down to 194 right now and still removing birds.  I am going at a slower pace and alot of those birds are started chicks.  I hope to get down to around 120.
Jean

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
Feed Prices
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
Purina Layer crumbles 15.75, pellets 16.25
Nutrena and Barlett Brands feeds are usually comparable in quality and percentage of protein

Bartlett Chick Start and Grow 14.50
Bartlett Layer Crumbles 13.00 @ 17 % protein
Three grain scratch 12.00

One of our feed dealers says that almost any mill will accept competitors coupons, especially Purina\'s, if you can find them.

If we drive a half hour out from the city we can buy grains from farmers that grow it for about 8.00/bag. This includes wheat, oats, millet and corn.  Cracked corn or mixed grains add a dollar for the extra efforts.  We do not have access to peas here.    

Roasted soybean meal is $18.00    All prices 50#bags
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

FLFAmeraucanas

Feed Prices
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 07:13:59 PM »
I went into sticker shock too, when layer pellets went to $15.99 a 50lb bag.  Starter (20%) is about $14.49 for 50lbs.

I started make my own layer feed a couple months ago.  We crop farm, so the corn and oats don\'t cost me anyththing. However, even adding in market rate for them it costs me about $7 a 50lb bag for layer.  Mine consists of corn, oats, soybean meal, poultry conditioner, black oil sunflower seeds, and some oyster shell.  I\'m in the process of playing around with it abit, but so far so good!  Birds seem to like it so far and everyone appears healthy and shiny.

Need to try working on a starter recipe next, starter is killing me right now!

Beth C

Feed Prices
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »
Need to try working on a starter recipe next, starter is killing me right now!

Ditto. Starter feed kills me. Feed for the adults isn\'t as bad, since I\'m fortunate to have access to one of the few remaining hammer mills in the area. They mix their own layer feed (I just add protein during the breeding season) and do custom mixes. I keep meaning to look into a chick recipe but something always comes up (gearing up for surgery at the moment, so everything else is pretty much on hold). If you ever come up with a recipe for chick starter, I\'d love a copy!

far149

• ABC Members
    • View Profile
Feed Prices
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 08:37:18 PM »
I\'m paying $10.95 a 50# bag for 17% layer pellets at the local Producer\'s Co-Op. Lay crumbles are slightly higher but are mostly dust.
Aaron
Rhoton Hill Farms