Author Topic: Combs in my project  (Read 3246 times)

crystalcreek

Combs in my project
« on: March 01, 2012, 01:47:55 PM »
An update on the cockerel I had posted a picture of earlier in the season.  He has some significant tail issues, wing set is somewhat low, and his eye color is light but I am really liking his comb.  It\'s the closest thing I\'ve grown out to what I envision a proper pea comb to look like, and it hasn\'t blown up YET.  I really need some fast feather blacks to take this guy too.  I believe he is Kk, so fast black females bred to him should produce 50% fast offspring-both male and female.

Baby picture first, then current pics.....  

crystalcreek

Combs in my project
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:52:29 PM »
Here is a prospect out of my fast pen - a 3 month old pullet showing some promise, she may be a possible mate for him, as well....

dixieland

Combs in my project
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
He is a nice boy. I am very envious of that nice small pea comb on top of his head!  B)

How hard (how many generations) is it to reduce the size of the comb?

When evaluating young cockerels, at what age can you start to tell how large the comb will be?

crystalcreek

Combs in my project
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »
He is an F1 for me; it was more a matter of how many grown out versus how many generations.  I must have raised 40 boys to get that one.  He had a full sister that laid a lovely blue egg and she was taken by a fox a few weeks ago.  If only the fox would eat culls and not my good ones.

These are the parents....

crystalcreek

Combs in my project
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:33:16 PM »
I had rehomed this female but the new owner was kind enough to return her to me to help me move forward in dealing with K.  I believe her to be k- (fast) from pictures I have of her as a juvenile.  She\'s fluffy, but her size is awesome, her egg size is great, her color is even with little to no fretting, and she has a fantastic temperament, to boot.  She has proven herself as a producer, even though they are not consistent across the board.  Her pullets lay blue eggs, which happens to be a nice trait to have when you\'re breeding Ameraucana, even if they are lavender.