Author Topic: Auction Sites and question on crossing white to lavender  (Read 5363 times)

mustangsaguaro

Auction Sites and question on crossing white to lavender
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
Not sure if many of you use auction sites to sell eggs and or birds. Besides ebay and bidbird what are some other poultry auction sites to sell on.  And what is your success rate on selling on this sites? Which site seems to get the highest price for eggs? I know ebay is probably the most well known but are other sites better?

I\'m curious I have a white hen that I hatched many years ago.  I decided to start concentrating on Lavenders only because right now I have only a limited amount of birds I can have. And really like the Lav. color. I have 2 lavender males to breed to my Lav/Lav split hens I have.

My curiosity is if I hatched eggs from my white hen and the lav roos breed her what type/color chicks would hatch from her eggs. I don\'t want to start any new projects it\'s more of a curiosity question and I know anything hatched from her eggs I would have to consider them mutts/easter eggers and couldn\'t sell as true Ameraucana\'s.

dixieland

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:26:07 PM »
There is a brand new site that has just been put up that looks to be pretty well run...The moderator\'s are just that, moderators... They are not trying to start the Third Reich of Poultryland. (That is not my description, I am borrowing it from a friend!!!)
www.thepoultrybid.com

But a more simple answer that leads to a question is--Why not list our Ameraucana eggs, birds, etc for sale right here in our own comfy cozy home onthe web????  :D

bantamhill

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »
Since the demise of Eggbid, things just haven’t been the same in my opinion. I haven’t sold anything through an auction in three years. The shipping of live birds became so bad at the post office that I had to stop all shipping. I basically could ship something out if I was willing to drive two hours. I wasn\'t willing and people were not willing to pay the surcharge. The odd part was that I could and can still receive shipments of live birds. Depending on the direction of shipment eggs either end up okay or scrambled. I would still ship eggs, but I am a year out from doing that. I really don’t know what is worse, the shipping or the gas.

I frequent Rare Breed Auctions (http://www.rarebreedauctions.com/index.php), Backyard Chickens For Sale Forums (http://www.backyardchickens.com), and eBay. I am basically looking to see what is out there and who is close to me that I might be able to drive to for the non Ameraucana breeds I am interested in. For Ameraucana I am dealing directly with members.

Michael

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »
If you don\'t necessarily want to auction something, just sell or buy, try http://showbirdbid.proboards.com .   They have a general forum, breed club forums, a wanted forum, and a for sale forum.  

mustangsaguaro

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »
Quote from: dixieland

But a more simple answer that leads to a question is--Why not list our Ameraucana eggs, birds, etc for sale right here in our own comfy cozy home onthe web????  :D

I can totally understand this comment. But I know there are others out there besides us breeders that want these beautiful birds too.

HappyMtn

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:34:43 PM »
Well I occasionally list my eggs on another forum, but was banned for quoting another seller IN HER OWN WORDS bragging about how she get twice as much as John B for her birds. She is not even an Am breeder, only got into the lavenders after seeing a few of us have good auctions last year.
I wish everybody would be able to make a little bit of feed money back for our efforts, but flat out greed at the expense of the breed just makes me sick.  
Sorry for the rant.
I would like another outlet as well. I hate ebay. It is awful when you are only an occasional seller.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »
I get the most responses from http://bestfarmbuys.com/ (post under Poultry-Chickens) and click on the state you are from. I also have done pretty well on www.craigslist.org

Sharon
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

HappyMtn

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 07:43:48 AM »
Quote from: Sharon Yorks
I get the most responses from http://bestfarmbuys.com/ (post under Poultry-Chickens) and click on the state you are from. I also have done pretty well on www.craigslist.org

Sharon

Good site! Thanks!
I use www.localsalesnetwork.com for some things, (its regional) but we are so rural there aren\'t many people here to buy anything. They really just show up for free roosters. At least it works for that!

Beth C

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:10:57 AM »
Third Reich of Poultryland

Quote from: HappyMtn
Well I occasionally list my eggs on another forum, but was banned for quoting another seller IN HER OWN WORDS bragging about how she get twice as much as John B for her birds. She is not even an Am breeder, only got into the lavenders after seeing a few of us have good auctions last year.
I wish everybody would be able to make a little bit of feed money back for our efforts, but flat out greed at the expense of the breed just makes me sick.  
Sorry for the rant.
I would like another outlet as well. I hate ebay. It is awful when you are only an occasional seller.

I\'m pretty sure these 2 posts reference the same site, one I detest for just that reason...

Honestly, if you even hint on here you have something for sale (and a way to contact you) you will be inundated with calls - I don\'t even list myself in the breeders\' directory because I can\'t keep up. Because this forum is public, lots of people read it that aren\'t members, and people looking for real Ameraucana check this forum often. (I was reading here for a couple of years before I joined.)

E-Bay has the traffic to probably get the best price, and several members use it - that\'s how I found Wayne Meredith and got into Ameraucanas. But I\'ve been leary of selling eggs on there because I don\'t want my fb score ruined my people with unrealistic expectations. There aren\'t too many egg sellers that don\'t have at least one negative that reads something like this: \"NONE FERTILE!! SENT ROTTEN EGGS!! EGGS FROM 5 OTHER SELLERS HATCHED IN THE SAME INCUBATOR!\"  I don\'t have much patience for that stuff. (This is also the reason I take excess birds to the sale most of the time instead of going through the dance of, \"Yes I noticed it has speckles in it\'s hackles. No it\'s not perfect. If I had a perfect bird do you think I\'d be selling it?\") :rolleyes:

jerryse

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »
Quote from: mustangsaguaro
Not sure if many of you use auction sites to sell eggs and or birds. Besides ebay and bidbird what are some other poultry auction sites to sell on.  And what is your success rate on selling on this sites? Which site seems to get the highest price for eggs? I know ebay is probably the most well known but are other sites better?

I\'m curious I have a white hen that I hatched many years ago.  I decided to start concentrating on Lavenders only because right now I have only a limited amount of birds I can have. And really like the Lav. color. I have 2 lavender males to breed to my Lav/Lav split hens I have.

My curiosity is if I hatched eggs from my white hen and the lav roos breed her what type/color chicks would hatch from her eggs. I don\'t want to start any new projects it\'s more of a curiosity question and I know anything hatched from her eggs I would have to consider them mutts/easter eggers and couldn\'t sell as true Ameraucana\'s.

jerryse

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 10:20:38 AM »
For the question on lav x white.I have done this.If recessive white you get a black split for lav and white.If dominate white you get a white with black patches.Still split for lav and white.Dominate is easier to eliminate as all carriers are mostly white.I have done both.

John

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 11:36:42 AM »
Because this forum is public, lots of people read it that aren\'t members, and people looking for real Ameraucana check this forum often.

That\'s another good point.  There are generally several \"guests\", besides the Googlebot, checking out this forum when I come here.