Author Topic: Laryngotracheitis Vaccine  (Read 4727 times)

DaydreamsFarm

Laryngotracheitis Vaccine
« on: March 07, 2012, 07:37:36 PM »
I got a flyer for a show that I would like to attend, in the fine print it mentions that any birds coming from out of state (me) have to be from a flock vaccinated with an approved Laryngotracheitis Vaccine.  Does anyone vaccinate for this, where do you get your vaccine and how do you administer?  Some of the technical information I found is just a bit over my head.  Thanks in Advance.

Catherine

John

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:01:35 PM »
Use LT-IVAX®.  It is available from Victor Hakes and Peter Brown.
It is important to only use a Tissue culture origin (TCO) ILT vaccine because they do not shed the virus...it won\'t go from bird to bird.  The Chicken embryo origin (CEO) vaccines are more powerful and can spread the virus.

dixieland

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
Quote from: John
Use LT-IVAX®.  It is available from Victor Hakes and Peter Brown.
It is important to only use a Tissue culture origin (TCO) ILT vaccine because they do not shed the virus...it won\'t go from bird to bird.  The Chicken embryo origin (CEO) vaccines are more powerful and can spread the virus.

I agree 100%. If possible you want to administer this vaccine at least a month before your show so that your birds have time to mount an immune response..

Paul

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »
LT-IVAX should be used when the chicks are 4 weeks old then again when they are 10 weeks old.  We hatch every two weeks for several months.  When we first started a vaccination program in 2004 we were constantly vaccinating chicks every two weeks.  The past two years we have waited until the last hatch of the season was four weeks old and vaccinated the entire flock at one time.  Then again six weeks later.

The LT-IVAX is an eye drop that is best used in the nostril.  It will cause eye infections if used in the eye.  If we had been using this vaccine we wouldn\'t have had to euthanize our flock in 2004.
Paul Smith

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »
What is the suggested vacination procedure for adult birds?
Gordon Gilliam

John

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:18:58 PM »
What is the suggested vaccination procedure for adult birds?

It is as Paul said for all chickens 4 weeks and older.  Vaccinate and then do it again in 6 weeks.  Do the whole flock each year.