Author Topic: predators  (Read 6121 times)

jerryse

predators
« on: July 21, 2012, 09:25:58 AM »
I have had my share of predator problems this year.I tried a large dog tied out by the pens early this year.Worked great for a while.Then a coyote figured out  the dog was tied and wiped out a pen of early chicks in may.A daytime raid while I was gone.Shot one coyote.Four foot fence with no top.Shut up at night.So then I trained the dog to stay in the fenced area outside the pens.Worked great again for awhile.The raccoons learned to come in from the trees recently and run the roof and pen tops.Lost one duck in a pen with plastic top netting.Only pen left with plactic top netting.Have replaced the rest for that reson.So back to live trapping.Every year for over 40 years the predators find a new way to outwit my defences.I have heard from some locals that golden marlin fly bait mixed with soda and left in a pan is very effective.It is said they don't go far and die.Off label use for sure and very dangerous.Not going to try that.As most of you know it is a struggle every year.Free range is only a option with a armed guard here.

Beth C

Re: predators
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 11:59:45 AM »
What rotten luck! I agree with you on the bait - too great of chance the wind could blow it down where the birds or dog could find it. Have you tried running hot wire around the tops & bottoms? My buddy has successfully kept the foxes out of her coop with it. That's one of the many things on my to-do list. Knock on wood, hawks are the only things I've had an issue with so far, and they're fairly easy to thwart. As much as I've cursed them, perhaps that development behind me has some benefit, but sooner or later a 4-legged varmint is bound to show up...

jerryse

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »
I used hot wires in the past with good success.I bought some wood frame rabbit cages with tin roofs at the sale barn years ago.They had 1x1 wire on the sides.Coons would reach through and shred chicks.Hot wires stopped that.Heard a lot of noises in the night when they got into it.Eventually replaced wire with 1/2 inch hardware cloth.Still using these cages 19 years later.It just seemed to me the dog was working so well.Then the coons figured out a way around my defences.Would rather have the dog keep them away but back to traps and the fence charger.

Beth C

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »
I'd prefer the dog too - electric fence is a bother to maintain. I always have something grounding out somewhere or coming loose. Doesn't help that I have a gelding who relieves his boredom by dismantling things. The last time I saw him get tagged by a fence he was 4 months old (he turned 25 last month) but he somehow knows when it's off and the second it goes down he starts tinkering with it. He's lucky I love him...

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:47:26 AM »
My chickens attract enough predators that I'm considering some serious trapping this winter. I've set traps sporadically but I think this time I'll have them set all the time. My dad traps & ships the furs up to Canada so if I can keep everything safe 'til cooler weather comes, the fur quality will be better and he can get a little bit of money out of it. I liked the idea shared elsewhere on the forum about having coonskin caps made. Given the local population of skunks (amorous ones, I might add as they seem to be mating and spraying outside my bedroom window), that's another option for stylish toppers! Pity that raccoons bring so little at auction but oh well.

jerryse

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
I have waited in the past trying to get some cash out of the hides.It is a 45 minute drive to the nearest pickup point for the buyer.It seems the buyer always has a excuse for low prices when you have 3-4 hides.Last time I did this I got a total of $10 for  3 large coon hides.So now I just take care of the problems as they happen.Not worth the time and gas.Years ago I caught a red fox near the end of season and missed the buyer.Held it over in the freezer.Yeah I know not supposed to.Took it to the buyer early next season.He said I can't give you much the hide is still blue [fur still growing in] on a prime january hide.Not worth the time to skin it.I know he has to make a profit but it has to be worth the effort on my end also.

bantamhill

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 11:10:53 AM »
Things have calmed down here in Central Missouri when it comes to predators. I am staying vigilant, but it is so dry here that I think most of the racoons and friends have moved closer to water sources. Even the coyotes have been strangely quiet.

Michael

Don

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 09:02:28 PM »
Michael,   What baits/methods do you use to keep the traps effective over the weeks and months?  They have become really active here in the past few weeks.  Royce suggested marshmallows and corn which seemed to be good for the coons, probably do not attract cats as much as cat food or leftover prey would.  No reason to trap the neighbor's cat in lieu of the problem animals.  But they have either avoided the traps. they are smart rascals, for several days or just trying out someone else's chicken pens.       
Don Cash
Matthew 4:9

Birdcrazy

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 04:26:50 AM »
Don, one of the best baits I use in a live trap that does not draw cats is to use 5-6 eggs per trap. It works great for racoons, skunks, and possums. I have yet to catch a cat with eggs.
Gordon Gilliam

bantamhill

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »
I have used eggs, tuna fish in cans (a few holes poked into it), cat food, and soft dog food that comes in the single serving bags. I will have to try the marshmellows.

I rotate my cages around and change the bate offerings to keep them interested.

Michael

Russ

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 07:29:53 PM »
Here is some stuff that works pretty good also, you might be able to find a local dealer closer to home that sell's something comparable to these. F&T trading post is out of Alpena MI but there are similar stores all over the country just google trapping supplies. http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Blackie's+Baits/Blackie's+Blend+Berry+Sweet+ADC+Bait
http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Marsyada's+Baits/Marsyada's+Chimney+Sweep+ADC+Paste+Bait
A little bit of this stuff goes a long way, they also have ADC (animal damage control) bait blended for various specific animals also like skunk, woodchuck, coyote etc. Any type of sweet bait increases your chances to eliminate incidental catches like cat's. I also run trap line in fall and winter and fur prices have been going up so it does pay to wait until fur gets prime. Usually the reality is that predators are not willing to wait for a fresh egg or chicken dinner. And like Jerry said you have to find a honest buyer also, well I don't because I am also a licensed Fur Buyer  ;D. Actually had a coon make top lot at N.A.F.A. last Feb. and sold for $44.00 oops got side tracked sorry  ::) I am on chicken forum.