The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Breeding

Laced Blue Ameraucana

(1/36) > >>

Christie Rhae:
I am very interested in working on a blue laced ameraucana.  I have been reading a lot about it and I know it will take a long time and a lot of hatching.  I have nothing but time and am fascinated by the project.

I am going to use Blue Andalusians and Black Ameraucana.  Blue Andalusians have white skin, white eggs, single comb, white ear lobes, and very pinched flat tails.  So those are some of the things I will be working with.  It seems that it is not agreed upon whether andalusians are E/E or ER/ER.  Their genotype is E/E or ER/ER, Co/Co, (Mi-Pg)/(Mi-Pg).  Regardless I will be starting with black ameraucana that are E/E based.

I have discovered that breeders of Blue Andalusian prefer to only breed blue to blue which of course only gives you a percentage of actual blue.  I am thinking right now that the reason they do this is to get paler blue? If they only use the palest blues with the palest blues then the offspring would get lighter correct?   If the pattern genes are there it really would not matter if you bred black to splash to get all blues but the really striking blue andalusians are the ones that are ice blue with dark lacing.

I have ordered my copy of the SOP but do not have it yet so cannot check what really is the desired shade of blue for blue ameraucana.  

I have run countless calculations to see what I will get and what would be the quickest route.  The F1 generation will all have Pg/Pg+  Ml/Ml+.  According to the chart below from Chicken Genetics there might be some dismal lacing...

The F2 generation is where I am going to have to hatch TONS of chicks to get the right genetic roll of the dice.  But once I get it the F3 generation is where it will get easier, then I can start breeding for type.  

Anyway, all of this is just theory and I am sure I will learn so much along the way.  In the end I may learn that it just does not work.  lol! Then no one else will have to bother going down this road.  lol  I hope that is not the case but the reward is in the journey for me.  

My Blue Andalusian eggs were sent yesterday so I decided now was the time to start a topic.  I have to actually get some blue Andalusians so sure hope I can get some to hatch.  If not I will keep trying.  The breeder I am getting eggs from has very nice birds that appear in photos to have the correct and full pattern genes.

I will report back to this thread whenever I have an update.

Mahalo (\"Thank You\" in Hawaiian) to John Blehm and Mike Gilbert for helping me get this far in my project plans!  

Stay tuned!

dixieland:
Awesome!!! I think this is a very worthwhile project!

E pili mau na pomaika i ia oe!

PS---Before I read your post, I just looked at the pictures at the bottom...At first I thought I was looking at drawings of various styles of ladies necklines and cleavage.....I will never be able to look at a laced bird again with out giggling to myself...... Yes, my mind was in the gutter  B)

HappyMtn:
Blue laced _____?

Christie Rhae:

--- Quote from: HappyMtn ---Blue laced _____?
--- End quote ---

Ameraucana?  Easter Egger?  lol!  :rolleyes:
...I don\'t follow.

HappyMtn:
lol! Blue laced red? Blue laced gold?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version