Author Topic: Laced Blue Ameraucana  (Read 89891 times)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
Re: Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #135 on: August 31, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Here's a picture of one that didn't. When this one hatched, she was the weirdest color; almost like a mix between a grey and a splash. I had marked the egg so I knew which pullet she was out of (a black and it was her first hatched chick) so I kept the chick to see what she was going to turn out to be. She is one of the most sociable and friendliest chicks I have and almost every single person who has come to buy birds has asked to buy her because of her color. She's an April 21st chick so she may still change some. I'm still working on my recipes to create a masterpiece  :) 
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

heatherscooby77

« Reply #136 on: August 31, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »
Sharon, she is nice too!  I have a youngster that started out like that.  I thought she was going to be a splash, she is ice blue, with darker blue edging.  Its not black.  I going to see what she will make???  I love my chickens :-)

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2012, 09:20:23 PM »
Thanks, Heather! I'd love to see pictures of yours. I really love my chickens, too...and spend wayyyy too much time with them. We should start another topic and label it "Chic Pics" and maybe some other members will post some pictures. Kind of like pulling out your wallet and showing pictures of your family.
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

heatherscooby77

« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2012, 01:42:28 AM »
I know I spend way to much time with mine.  Now that my daughter has gone to school, I have conversations with them!  I just have a hard time getting good pics.  I have an iphone 3G, not the best pics.  They are also smeary because the ladies are camera shy.  I have had chickens for years, since I was a kid, but I only have had Ameraucanas for 3 years now.  They are by far my favorite!  Especially blues.

heatherscooby77

« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2012, 11:05:23 PM »
I have a genetics question.  I am no good with the chicken calculator.  I have not had the time to figure it out.  I have a cockerel that is out of a Blue AM rooster x SLW hen.  He has the nice beetle green sheen, but his speckles are cream...............  I thought any color that would be added to him would be white?????  Should I keep him or not?  How did this happen?

Zach_Rose

« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2012, 12:48:54 AM »
By speckles, are you referring to the center of the feather. One thing to remember is your blues carry either solve or gold the mix of the two would cause the cream, so it is possible that your blues carry gold.

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2012, 07:35:59 AM »
By speckles, are you referring to the center of the feather. One thing to remember is your blues carry either solve or gold the mix of the two would cause the cream, so it is possible that your blues carry gold.

That would be my guess.   The Blue Ameraucana carries at least one copy of sex linked gold, and that is why your "speckles" that would otherwise be white are creamy.   The speckled cockerel would be split for silver and gold. 

heatherscooby77

« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2012, 08:44:42 AM »
Thank you!  So  I don't want to use him because I would get some gold on solid blues that are also split?

John

« Reply #143 on: September 07, 2012, 09:49:46 AM »
but his speckles are cream...............

I'm lost and would love to see a photo.

heatherscooby77

« Reply #144 on: September 07, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
I will try and get one this weekend.   He is camera shy.  I have another one that I need to get pics of.  All I have is my cell phone right now, my "real" camera's battery died.  It is interesting.

heatherscooby77

« Reply #145 on: September 10, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »
This is the best pic I could get.  I will keep trying to get a better one.  He is a Blue AM rooster X Silver Laced Wyandotte.

John

« Reply #146 on: September 10, 2012, 07:31:40 PM »
The thumbnail is clearer than the enlarged version.  I think I do see what you are calling speckles.
Thanks,

heatherscooby77

« Reply #147 on: September 10, 2012, 11:17:34 PM »
For some reason I cannot get it to save while it is reduced.  I have done this for several other pics.  It just isn't working for this particular one.  So basically you can see that its a creamy golden color.  So I won't be using him?????????  I really want to work on this project.  I am not sure I know enough about it yet???  I am just going to keep meticulous records.  I will have a lot of research and reading to do this winter, before setting up next years breeding pens!

grisaboy

« Reply #148 on: September 14, 2012, 02:56:52 PM »
So basically you can see that its a creamy golden color.  So I won't be using him????????? 

If your objective is to get back to a solid blue (laced) bird, It shouldn't matter if it silver or gold or cream.  This should be covered by the blue color in future generations. You would want to eventually get rid of all silver or gold leakage and hopefully just keep the lacing.
Were any of the F1 (SLW X blue Am) blue? (with or without the speckles?)
In the next generation you would want to go F1 X F1.
But at least one of the F1's should be blue so you can carry the blue color through to the next generation.

Curtis

heatherscooby77

« Reply #149 on: September 14, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
I do have a blue hen.  I also have some chicks that hatched last week.  They are out of my splash rooster x SLW hens.  I will be very interested to see how they will feather out.  When they hatched they had correct blue and splash down.

I am not going to use the golden speckles for the project.  I have a black rooster without the speckles, and I am liking him more.  As of right now.  I am going to keep all of them for a while.  I need to do my research.  Thanks for the info.  It is so appreciated!