Author Topic: Laced Blue Ameraucana  (Read 89706 times)

Chicklover

Re: Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #150 on: September 18, 2012, 11:45:55 PM »
So far the F1 from my Ameraucana and Andalusions I have seen that the tail carriage, leg size and comb are something that are going to need work. I believe that they will be easy to get back where I need then in the f3 and on once I get the genes for lacing set. The Lacing is look really good. I will post picks in a couple of days.

heatherscooby77

« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »
I can't get the pictures right for the Forum.  I posted a pic on the BYC website. Along with my thoughts on the breedings.  You can see it at: 

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/260313/ameraucana-thread-for-posting-pictures-and-discussing-our-birds/17890#post_9728167

Christie Rhae

« Reply #152 on: October 02, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »
So far the F1 from my Ameraucana and Andalusions I have seen that the tail carriage, leg size and comb are something that are going to need work. I believe that they will be easy to get back where I need then in the f3 and on once I get the genes for lacing set. The Lacing is look really good. I will post picks in a couple of days.
Yes I agree once we get the lacing patterns then it will not be too hard to get back to Ameraucana.  I am hoping to see good results in F3 generation.  It is F2 that is going to take zillions of hatchings.   

Here are pics of some of my andalusians that are growing up.  I have 2 cockerels and 2 pullets that are blue.  I also have 2 splash cockerels and one black pullet.  I am very happy with them.  Of course my black ams from John Blehm are growing nicely.  Cant wait to start hatching in the spring!

Edit: lets not forget about the white earlobes.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 02:09:45 PM by Christie Rhae »

Christie Rhae

« Reply #153 on: October 02, 2012, 02:11:18 PM »
Sorry that pic is so small.  I have the picture larger if anyone would like to see close up detail of the lacing I can email it.

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »
Wow, those are really striking. I know it will be a while before you have chick pictures to share, but I look forward to seeing them.

Christie Rhae

« Reply #155 on: October 05, 2012, 01:42:36 AM »
I discovered something today.  I thought I would examine my splash andalusians to see if I could see any evidence of lacing.  I found that one of my splash cockerels showed more evidence of lacing than the other.  Here are some close ups. (below)   The thing about these splash birds is that they are very likely carrying all the pattern genes so I am interested to see that there is some lacing showing.  This may be useful info in future breedings.

Here is a close up of one of my blue andalusian cockerels. They have not had their first molt yet so am excited to see how the 4 month old feathers look.

Christie Rhae

« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2012, 11:45:48 AM »
Omg we have advice from the Andalusian master himself..Tom Roebuck!
He made a comment on BYC... Here it is
"
Christie,
I read back through a couple of your posts to where you stated what you had on hand and that you had separated ckls and pullets.

My recommendation as far as breeding matchups.  I'd try the following breedings.

Blue A ckl x Black Am pullets
Splash A ckl x Black Am pullets
Black Am Ckl x Blue A pullets

I am betting that your best lacing on the f1's will come from either the Blue A Ckl x Black Am pullets or the Splash A ckl x Black Am pullets.  The males usually drive the color/pattern tendancies.  I am also betting that you'll see better comb results in the matings with Ameraucana pullets vs. Ameraucana ckls.  I wouldn't be afraid of using the splash ckls either like you stated.  You'll get the greatest Blue yield from this breeding and they are carrying the pattern genetics.  Soundest Blue color will probably come from the Blue A x Black Am breeding.

Looking forward to seeing how the f1's turn out.
Tom"

I am printing this out and will use this advice for my first pairings.

OldChurchEggery

« Reply #157 on: October 05, 2012, 01:08:15 PM »
Hi Christie,

I heard from Tom this morning about our VPBA show and told him you'd been gushing on here about the birds you hatched from his stock. Maybe next year you can fly in for our show and we can all meet!  ;) Somehow I think a Hawaii-Virginia flight would be rough.  ::)

Good luck once again!

Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 9:41 AM
To: Lawler, Erica M
Subject: Re: 2012 VPBA Show Catalog

Erica,
Clean up help would be awesome.  That picture is awesome. 

It took two tries getting eggs to Hawaii.  First bunch we shipped the way I ship eggs in the states normally.  That didn't work.  They probably were victims of rough handling and then may not have been in a temp controlled cabin on the plane.  The second batch I shipped in a lives box, but had to go through Hawaii Dept of Ag to get a permit and then make sure they understood that they were only eggs and not really live chickens.  Those went through great and she had a good hatch.  I am hoping she has good success getting the lacing.  Good breeding project!

Tom

Christie Rhae

« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2012, 01:30:50 PM »
Lol! I am all geeked out!
I would love to attend a show one day. Ya never know!

Chicklover

« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2012, 09:56:19 PM »
The lacing is looking great in the F1's and I am looking forward to breeding in the Spring. I have been told to breed the F1's back to the F1's to make sure to set the lacing genes. I know that this will cause the F2 to have more of the Andalusion genes but it will make the hatching a bit of challenge. When they hatch I will have to cull on comb first. Then keep the best comb's these I will breed back to the Ameraucana.

Christie Rhae

« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2012, 10:49:32 PM »
I love to play with the kippen calculator thing.  Of course it is all just theory.
When I run it with F1 to F1 it seems like the odds are a lot higher to get the right set of genes.  When I run F1 back to laced andalusian parent the odds of getting blue, laced, beard, pea comb, blue egg is 2.64%.  (1.17% male, 1.17% female) with the likely hood being 1 in 86 birds to breed.

When I run the calculator with F1 to F1 the odds are way worse.  I don't really understand how that works.  It seems like it should be better odds.  The odds of correct genes are 0.02% with a minimum of 4096 to breed!!  Maybe I am using this thing wrong, maybe it is flawed. 

I think I may try it both ways.

Chicklover

« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2012, 11:32:10 PM »
F1 Pictures of the first birds in the project.

Christie Rhae

« Reply #162 on: October 09, 2012, 12:12:06 AM »
Very nice!  Thank you for sharing.  Cant wait till I have F1's.

Zach_Rose

« Reply #163 on: October 11, 2012, 10:37:01 PM »
What is nice about breeding a splash and black is that all result offspring are blue. Instead of 50/50 with breeding blue and black. The problem is that you may end up with one bird having the perfect lacing gene combo, but it be black, and you possibly might not notice. Where as splash and black will throw all blue so you can pick out the best lacing, easily.

Christie Rhae

« Reply #164 on: October 12, 2012, 12:26:34 AM »
Yes that is correct.. splash X Black makes all blue.  And in the parent generation if your splash for sure carries all the lacing genes then I think it is ok.  But in later generations that is part of the challenge with this project is that we really should only breed blue to blue because it is only in the blues that we will know for sure that the bird carries all the pattern genes.
I have read that people who breed blue andalusians only breed blue to blue.  This somehow affects the quality of the blue.  I am not near that stage yet so will not worry about it for awhile.