Author Topic: Laced Blue Ameraucana  (Read 89719 times)

Chicklover

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »
i hope to get started in the next couple of weeks once to incubator gets empty. I will start this week breeding the Andalusions with my black Roo. Then hopefully will be able to get F1 and F2 this year.

vanalpaca

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 11:29:32 PM »
Christie, not the same book as yours, but a new publication of a geneticist recommended on this forum, the comment was that he did solid work. I looked for your book, hard to find right now and cost more, too. I did see the pdf ad of it and it does look easier to understand than my author.

So there are NO BLACKS with ER/ER?? I\'ve read some on the forum and am still letting it sift into my soul. Haven\'t GOT it yet and can\'t speak it. Seriously hoping for blacks from John, have sourced a couple of Pauls Blacks and a Smith/Ribbeck line black. Not sure what all of those have as for genetics. BUT I WILL LEARN AS I GO ALONG HERE !!

I did just talk to a lady that mentioned she had Andalusians. Have to learn about THOSE now for this project. How many do I need?? Just a trio or what?? I\'m suspecting just a couple of roos?? or do I need hens, too? She has 20 chicks right now and she is 2 states away, I\'m thinking Illinois.....

Also, what Color are Andalusians coming in and if so which would I need to source for this project.

Hey, new here, knowledge level still ranking 0.......

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 12:40:59 PM »
Christie,

I think I am going to go the route of using silver laced orpington when they get here.  It will only take two generations to get laced blues.  Try the kip calculator and see.

I already have second generation half orp/ half ameraucana eggs in the incubator.  The original hen was an english orpington and should have been carrying the PG gene.  It is recessive, so I will see what I get with this second cross.  I did get one hen in the F1\'s that is laying a minty egg!!!  The rest are khaki...

Jean

Christie Rhae

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »
Quote from: Jean
Christie,

I think I am going to go the route of using silver laced orpington when they get here.  It will only take two generations to get laced blues.  Try the kip calculator and see.

I already have second generation half orp/ half ameraucana eggs in the incubator.  The original hen was an english orpington and should have been carrying the PG gene.  It is recessive, so I will see what I get with this second cross.  I did get one hen in the F1\'s that is laying a minty egg!!!  The rest are khaki...

Oh that will be cool to try a couple different things.  Don\'t want to put all our eggs in one basket...lol!  Pattern genes are pattern genes no matter where we get them right?

I will have to research the orpingtons to figure out their geno-stuff to run a calculation on \'em.

What are you going to do with F1\'s?  I am thinking of crossing F1 back to blue andalusian parent. (F1 x F1 gives much lower percentage of actual laced birds) Then I ran calculations using those offspring together. (Do we call that B1 x B1?)  And I got a much better percentage of blue laced birds.  Once I get the birds I want from that crossing (laced, bearded, pea comb, blue egger) and breed them...all babies are laced in the third gen.

Of course you may have the advantage of starting with blacks that are ER/ER.  I am going to be trying to bring the ER/ER over from the andalusians.  

What I don\'t like about the orpingtons just at first glance is their feather fluffiness and brown eggs.  I read the other night that lacing shows up better on hard feathered birds.  I guess nobody told the orpingtons that cuz they are beautiful.  lol   To me the feathers on the andalusians seemed more similar to ameraucana.

And once again I must say that this is all just theory for me...  maybe in 5 years I will actually have a clue what I am talking about.   :rolleyes:

Mike Gilbert

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 04:33:50 PM »
Jean, correct me if I\'m wrong, but I believe you already feel your line of blacks is based on E^R, isn\'t that correct?  You won\'t be getting it from a silver laced bird, be it Wyandotte or Orpington either one, as they are based on e^b (brown).  I hope you have good success, but I think Christie has chosen the shorter route, especially when it comes to egg color and proper Ameraucana feathering.  BTW, Pg is capitalized because it is a dominant gene.  Time will tell;  as they used to say, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  Perseverance be with you!

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
Yes, some of my blacks carry the E^R, but I do not know if it is one copy or two. (Two copies would indicate true birchen)

I\'m new to genetics, so forgive me if I type them wrong, but I think I got my point across. :)

I hope I would be able to tell after a couple generations which chicks would be carrying brown (partridge) based on chick down color.

It\'s a work in progress, so time will tell.
Jean

Christie Rhae

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2012, 02:19:52 AM »
Here is a link to info I found on earlobes.  It is a little...uh.. dry.  lol.  I am going to print it out and study it a little later.  Can only fit so much in my brain at one time.
genetics of earlobe color

vanalpaca

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
Christie, where did your Andalusian eggs come from? I am looking at a lady in Illinois that at least had some breeder line chicks and to see if I can get those since they are only 9 hours away.

I\'m thinking I want well laced blue Andalusians to start with. Also, did you decide on which \'shade\' of blue as those are probably ice blue and not medium blue??

I think I read in the threads here that Ameraucana breeders prefer the medium blue color and other places that Andalusians prefer the lighter ice blue shade.

I won\'t have grown up birds till next Spring, so all year to learn the genetics stuff.

Thanks,
bonnie

bantamhill

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 06:41:05 PM »
I am going to do a buyer beware here! Please make sure that the Blue Andalusians you purchase really do have the necessary pattern gene and light blue with dark blue edging. Many that I have seen lately don\'t have the necessary pattern gene and look like the rest of the blues out there.

Michael

Christie Rhae

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
Yes, I would say that a lot of the hatchery blue andalusians do not have Pg/Pg Ml/Ml. The chart on my first post shows a few combinations of the pattern genes that are less than perfect. If those birds are bred together the lacing can improve but would really not be good to use for what we want to do.
We need the deluxe package of pattern genes. Lol!

Chicklover

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 10:30:25 PM »
I agree we need to start with the best lace birds that we can find and with the best blacks we can find. I believe that the hens that I have have good lacing. See the pic on the earlier post in this thread. I am working on getting some more eggs from the breeder of this line and hopefully will have some later in April, for now I am going to start with what I have.  I am going to try Black Ameraucana Roo on the Andalusion hens.  I also have a Andalusion Roo and will put him on some black Ameraucana hens. Keep the chick separate so to see which is better combo in the F1\'s

vanalpaca

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 09:11:01 AM »
I found blue andalusian eggs here in OHIO and ordered them. I don\'t know anything about them, but they are from poultry judge Tim Bowles and I see that he has judged some of the shows that you have posted results to on here.

So I am hoping that they are pretty good examples......of Blue Andalusians and what they are supposed to look like with the lacing.

The first batch will come by post. If I don\'t get good results, I will drive down 3 hours or so and pick some more up if he will allow that.

Very little online about them, anyone have links? And also, no one said WHERE they got theirs from?? Would like to know.

Thanks all.
Bonnie

Chicklover

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 11:23:14 AM »
Ours are out of Steve Jones in TX. He is a judge and they have some  great lacing according to judges at shows that we took them to. I also know that the offsprings look good also from this years hatch. Some of the line has been used by a friend to get better lacing in a Auracana. They are start to look really good.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 04:42:52 PM »
This is what I have so far for my project.  This is a 1/2 english orp 1/2 ameraucana cock.

I am currently breeding him to his sisters to see what kind of lacing I may get on the offspring.

Last year:

This year:
Jean

Chicklover

Laced Blue Ameraucana
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »
Jean
 Is this the f2 cock or how many generations?