Author Topic: cuckoo- barred breeders contact me  (Read 7825 times)

vanalpaca

cuckoo- barred breeders contact me
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 01:06:17 PM »
I\'m new, I\'m interested in seeing the progress of folkses project birds and reports on them. I hope to work on the blue lacing project for blue ameraucanas.

It doesn\'t appear that the ABC is running in ten different directions to me. It looks like we have a solid group of poultry fanciers/breeders here that make it a great club.

Some folks have to march to their own tune or their own project and it is interesting seeing the results, successes and failures here, too.

From my short time with chickens, a lot of the accepted breeds need work. I\'m here as long as I can afford the fees, about 3 gallons of gasoline a year.........

HappyMtn

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »
You know- there are some benefits to color projects. I feel that in the process I have made improvements in my lavender/split flock that I otherwise would not have.  
My only regret is that I don\'t have enough incubator space.  

dixieland

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2012, 06:04:59 AM »
Quote from: Mike Gilbert
Quote from: Jean

And, on the subject of barred birds, in my personal opinion, when barred birds:

1.  are to a point where they breed true to type
2.  carry the blue egg gene
3.  have good interest in them
4.  have had five breeders for five years breed them
5.  are being shown regularly

Whether they have slate legs or not; that is when they will be considered by the Board of Directors (in place at that time) as to where to go from there with them.

I agree with everything quoted except the \"or not\" part.  When we start allowing \"anything goes\" with regard to shank color, I\'m taking the Don Cable route to retirement from the ABC.   And I\'m quite sure that will make some folks happy.

null

I agree that keeping the slate legs is important to our breed...
I would also HATE to even think about you retiring from the ABC Mike... You are an incredible educator and personally you have been a tremendous resource and inspiration to me....

dak

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »
Quote from: HappyMtn
Quote from: dak
Quote from: HappyMtn
Quote from: dak
jerryse,
I will email you.  I have Mottled birds in Black and Blue.
Clare

You\'re killing me! I have to get some of your black mottleds.

Just building up numbers a bit this year.  I will likely split to Black next year.  They are better layers than my B/Bs and Lavs (self-blues).

(can\'t spell today)

I wonder if you\'ll get the slate legs when you make lav mottled like we are getting with the lav cuckoos. Oooh how fun! I just loved mottled birds.

I have no plans for Lav Mottled, though I have sent eggs to a friend when I had the two colors penned together earlier in the season, and she has hatched a number of chicks split for both Lav and Mo.  

I\'m not sure this would create an attractive bird without the contrast.