The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Exhibiting & Promoting

This is concerning...

(1/3) > >>

greeneggsandham:
Not chicken related yet, but if there are any Michigan breeders out there, maybe they can keep the rest of us updated on this?  I know feral hogs are a big problem, but if this is true, I don\'t think it\'s the right way to handle it.

The ISO to be imposed on April 1 considers all but eight breeds of hogs to be feral. Those eight breeds are used in confinement buildings. That means the DNR can drive onto farms and homesteads that raise other breeds of swine and kill them on the spot...
Why should every American care about the DNR\'s move to kill Baker\'s and other Michigan farmer\'s hogs? You should be scared that whatever YOU hold dear will be on the next ISO. I look at our heritage Dexter cattle and heritage chickens and wonder when an ISO is going to wipe us out. Think it can\'t happen to you? There are ten states waiting to see how the Michigan DNR ISO turns out.

http://voices.yahoo.com/dnr-kill-hogs-small-family-farm-incomes-11173078.html?cat=17

dixieland:
This is indeed concerning to all of us.....This sort of thing started 10-15 years ago with purebred dogs and so called \"Vicious Breeds\" it has escalated much more then we ever imagined, even with a lot of good representation on our side......
I am sad to say that our freedoms are not quite what they used to be, but I wouldn\'t trade living here for any other country in the world.....
Thanks for keeping us in the loop! This is important information for all of us...

bryngyld:
feral - \"having returned to an untamed state from domestication\".  

If it is domesticated and in your pasture, it wouldn\'t be considered feral, would it?  I thought feral was referring to escaped animals like cats, horses, and hogs that were running loose and acting wild on public or other people\'s properties.

Truly wild hogs would be native species and be subject to hunting laws.  Feral hogs running loose would NOT require a license, etc. to be hunted.  Anyway, that\'s how I would interpret it.

John:

--- Quote ---If it is domesticated and in your pasture, it wouldn\'t be considered feral, would it?
--- End quote ---

Lyne,
You are using logical thought here, but forgetting we are talking about the government.  This is about control (the so called nanny state) and remember to follow the money.

http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/michigan-dnr-going-hog-wild.htm

--- Quote ---There is strong demand for Baker’s products among consumers and restaurants in the Traverse City area. The farmer says that the ISO is a swipe at the local food movement and warns that government agencies in other states as well as the National Pork Producers Association are watching what happens in Michigan with an eye to taking similar action elsewhere.
--- End quote ---

Beth C:
I remember a similar story involving hogs where they DID come in and kill them all, The family raised boar for hunting and some official came in posing as a hunter, shot a hog & had it tested and it allegedly tested positive for pseudorabies (NOT actual rabies), which was their justification to come in and destroy every hog on the place, including a couple pets that were housed separately. I don\'t remember where this happened but I don\'t think it was MI - I\'ll see if I can find the article...

... ok found it in a google search. This isn\'t the place I read it before, but it\'s the same article: http://www.thepowerhour.com/news2/WHO.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version