Author Topic: What Results from Mixing Ameraucana Silver with Ameraucana Wheaten?  (Read 14181 times)

What Results from Mixing Ameraucana Silver with Ameraucana Wheaten?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2006, 01:30:09 PM »
Silver male on a wheaten female will produce a male that is red on the shoulders and straw or redish yellow on the back, saddles and hackles.

Rooster

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2006, 06:43:00 PM »
Thank you.

--Ron

grisaboy

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2006, 09:16:45 AM »
Hi Ron,
The birds I gave away that showed up at our 4H fair were Ameraucana / Old English crosses as well as color crosses.  Definitely in the the Easter Egg class.  
Your birds will probably be a lot closer to Ameraucana type than mine were.  
The Silver/Wheaton cross roosters that you create may be useful in a breeding program if they have excellent type and are the only way to get certain genes into your strain.  I only give you the caution because if they go to someone who does not know what they are,  they could cause a lot of grief.

This is a sex link cross, but you wont see the difference in the chicks.  Only when they grow out feathers.   The chicks should be mostly white or yellow with a light stripe.  They probably wont have as dark stripes as your Silvers, and probably won\'t be as yellow as the wheatons.

Curtis

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2006, 01:29:04 PM »
Sex linked crosses involve a red male (wheaten and columbian restricted) on a silver female.  Some sex linked crosses are red male on a silver/dominate white female( Rhode island red on Rhode island white).
Others are a red male on a barred female. A red and silver cross, red sexlinked cross,  produces a whitish downed male chick  and a reddish downed female chick. A red x barred cross, black sex linked,  produces black downed female chicks and the male chicks are black downed  with a cream head spot.

Rooster

grisaboy

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 01:56:02 PM »
Ron,
You mentioned that you are not planning on showing your birds.  Why not?  
I know its not for everyone, but as long as you\'re raising them why not add another demention to your hobby?
I go to 2 maybe 3 shows per year and it\'s not a huge expense.  You know the old adage, \'It costs the same to feed a show bird as the others\'.
Sounds like you have a good start with Ameraucanas, even if you don\'t think they are show quality,  they may be closer than you think?
It\'s fun to see what every one else thinks is show quality.   And sometimes surprising what the judges think are show quality.

Curtis

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2006, 07:43:42 PM »
Grisaboy,

Four reasons:

1. the breeder -- who is known for honesty and integrity and who I would trust with my life -- told me they\'re not show quality. That\'s good enough for me. I knew that before I made the purchase.

2. There are no places to show poultry that I know of within 100+ miles of NYC (I live in Staten Island).

3...I\'m involved in so many other things that I\'m over-extended now. I\'m simultaneously pursuing an instrument rating to my pilot\'s license and an MBA degree (I\'m nuts, I admit it).

Showing is just something I cannot even think of for at least two to three years -- my commitments stretch that far into the future. Adding another commitment will literally cause me to fail at everything -- I\'m stretched that far.

4. I\'m still a rank amateur at this. Only been doing it about nine months. I know a lot, but not nearly enough, and next to nothing about showing birds. Let\'s see where I am with a few year\'s experience.

If I ever change my mind about showing, the process will be simple -- I\'ll contact the breeder and purchase started birds that are known to be show quality. They would be kept separate from my current flock...or would replace current birds as they age and pass on.

For the near and somewhat distant future, I\'m content to enjoy my flock, the eggs they produce, and hatch out some babies for my own enjoyment and education.