Author Topic: Incubating problem unabsorbed yolks  (Read 5335 times)

vanalpaca

Incubating problem unabsorbed yolks
« on: April 03, 2012, 10:56:15 AM »
I broke open the eggs from the second hatch, had rockers on day 18 and 19 and one on 20, but no hatches on these last 8 eggs.

Yolks were unabsorbed.???

I checked my thermometers in ice bath and took the ones that read 32 degrees and am now going by those.

If yolks aren\'t absorbed is it temp low or humidity high or either, anyone know?

Thanks.

Beth C

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 11:08:54 AM »
It could be embryo burnout. I was having a big problem with quiters after day 18, rechecked my thermometers, adjusted humidity, etc. and nothing seemed to help, then Michael suggested upping the protein in my breeder ration and it worked like a charm.

Jean

• Administrator
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pipsandpeeps.com
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
High humidity and too high temperature can cause premature hatching resulting in unabsorbed yolks.

My temperature in the hatcher is 1 degree lower than the incubator.
Jean

vanalpaca

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »
Not hatching.

On day 23, opened up after checking for heartbeat.

Chicks dead in shell with yolk not absorbed.

Ran low humidity first 18 days.
Then upped humidity for hatching.

I will keep trying. I looked at the troubleshooting pages online and nothing addresses unabsorbed yolks and NOT hatching.

Sharon Yorks

• ABC Members
  • Ameraucana Guru
    • View Profile
    • http://www.sharonyorks.com
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:35:55 PM »
Hi Bonnie!

Happy Birthday...yesterday.

How many different breeding pens do you have? I mean, are you experiencing this problem in multiple pens? I\'m just wondering if it could possibly be pinned down to a specific rooster or hen that may not be throwing strong enough chicks to make it full term. If you had more than one breeding pen, you may be able to tell if one pen hatches better than the other.

Also, I noticed what Beth said (that Michael had suggested) about upping the protein in their diet. Sounds like good advice. Let us know if you get it figured out.

Sharon
Sharon Yorks
Mark 11:23

(Don't tell God how big your problem is, tell your problem how big your God is!)

vanalpaca

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:22:11 AM »
It\'s a small cabinet incubator with hatching drawer and since upping humidity for hatching, it isn\'t going DOWN as far on humidity as it did the first 2 rounds.

can\'t get humidity to stay below 50%. I am really not holding out any hope for the hatch due in a week.

funny thing is, the first dud hatch humidity was running pretty low 40\'s and still had the problem and no internal pipping ever. I opened those eggs at the airhole and the sac was intact, but I agree there was still too much liquid in the sac and it wasn\'t all chick like it should have been.

I really would like to get this right as I now have those blue andalusian eggs started from Judge Tim Bowles for the blue lacing project. Shipped eggs, though and air cells don\'t look too good.

Only have one flock with the two roos and when I open the eggs they all show the bulls eye of fertility.

Still building at the farm and the coops aren\'t the priority there as I have to get the chutes built for handling the alpacas for shearing the 15th.

Chickens are supposed to be the FUN part here and still no Spring Chicks. I\'m looking into a hatcher to build to help with the humidity for hatching and dry out the bator. Thanks. It does sound like high humidity and possibly up the protein.

Christie Rhae

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »
For me when I am incubating 40\'s feels high. I usually keep it around 20-25 %.

Good luck, dud hatches are so discouraging.

vanalpaca

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:52:26 PM »
This round can\'t get it down to the 40\'s. Spring rains and warm outside, so the house isn\'t as dry as it was inside.

External humidity is 70% and room temp is 63-66 degrees. Opening the door lets more humidity out and it will drop to 45, then goes back up to 60 over time once it is closed.

But temps are holding fine.  And the brooder isn\'t holding temp well enough to get it up to hatching temperature. Just lovin it!

I learned last year on about 8 dozen eggs how NOT to do it. But the weather outside was different....ergh.....

Russ

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 01:45:09 PM »
What type of thermometer/hygrometer are you using? I am just asking because I just got another Genesis 1588 and also ordered a new thermometer/hygrometer. The preset thermometer on genesis was way off I ended up turning it up to 101.5 in order to get actual temp to 99.5. Just for fun I checked another older thermometer/hygrometer I was using that had a bad hatch rate this past weekend and it was way off. Almost 2 degrees and 15% on humidity. The new one also has a memory (for high and low) and a remote sensor that fits through the hole on Hovabators. Just a thought I had, I know I am ordering 3 more myself (to replace all my other older ones). I am not to familiar with ice bath technique or how reliable that test is. Just thought I would chime in.    

vanalpaca

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:15:08 PM »
Ice bath is used to calibrate a thermometer. fill a large vessel (I used a 4 cup measure) with ice and add water to top.

Place thermometer in it and it should read 32 degrees F.

If it is high/low, then it will be high/low at 100 degrees and you should adjust your readings accordingly.

To calibrate the hygrometer, use salt in a zip lock bag with a few drops of water and seal the hygrometer in it for 6 hours. It should read 75% humidity.

I calibrated the thermometers, haven\'t done the hygrometer yet..

It may be a further influence of spring weather and household temps as well. I will keep trying to get a good hatch. Hoping to get a still air foambator to use as a hatcher this weekend.