The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Exhibiting & Promoting

Easter Egger Education

(1/1)

dixieland:
Today we had about 10 or 12 of our \"kids\" over for a cookout and a game of Football in the field.....These are not our biological children, but we have met them through youth camps at the local churches and 4 H. They range in age from 17- 23 and are a pretty good group of kids if I do say so myself.....
After lunch and football they wanted to visit the chickens... My birds LOVE company and are HAPPY to entertain....
The one and only young lady in the group saw me sorting and marking eggs which began my very first educational seminar....
I got asked why some eggs got put into a green basket (that means GO to the incubator here) and why so many eggs went to the red basket (In our house that means eat it or package it in dozen carton to sell)...
I got to explain some of the defining features of this amazing breed.... We covered leg color, muffs, beards, tails, pea combs and egg color... We compared my eggs to the color chart and the kids made great decisions on keepers based on egg color....Next we went into the APA standard of perfection book... That took the crowd down by 25%...
The kids that made it through to the end of the standard decided that it was much more difficult to raise show chickens ghen they ever realized and that chicken breeders wont ever become rich from just selling chicks and chickens....
Not too bad for a group of that age range!!! They asked a lot of great questions and helped me to see things that I might ordinarily overlook...
David and I had a great time sharing our beloved birds with our kids... It was  a great Easter for us.

Cloverleaf Farm:
Fantastic!!  Sounds like a great day!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version