Author Topic: trying to sex birds  (Read 3662 times)

mustangsaguaro

trying to sex birds
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »
I have someone that bought 2 Lavs from me about 8 weeks ago. The birds are now 8 or 9 weeks old. She just recently sent me pics. Not the greatest. She is wanting to know the sex as she cannot have males where she lives. Anyways, the weird thing is one bird has a full tail while the other has an almost non existent tail. I am wondering if those of you w/ more experience can tell me if you notice whether or not the females get their tails quicker than the male birds. I have attached a pic but it's probably going to be real difficult to tell the sex of either bird.

Thanks

OldChurchEggery

Re: trying to sex birds
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 10:53:38 AM »
There was a discussion about slow feathering in lavenders and whether it had implications for predicting gender. I think I saw it sorted over to the Breeding and Projects area but I couldn't swear to it.

I think that the tails and wing feathers on my pullets grew in faster than on the males. That's just my observation, though.

greeneggsandham

• ABC Members
  • Colleague
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
I have had some success telling the sex by looking closely at the combs at that age.  The males are generally larger and pinker than the females. 
Sharon
Hubby rues the day he brought the chicks home...

dixieland

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:13:07 PM »

I think that the tails and wing feathers on my pullets grew in faster than on the males. That's just my observation, though.
[/quote

I have made the same observation here, but I am reminded that the different lines develop at different rates...