Author Topic: Chicks with hurt leg  (Read 3216 times)

Chicklover

Chicks with hurt leg
« on: June 04, 2012, 10:57:58 AM »
I have 3 chicks that hatch this past week. 2 where born on 21 day and 1 was on 24th day. All 3 are holding one of their legs up and having trouble walking any clue what is going on. 2 had low humitity. One was sticky when it hatch and one had trouble getting out and was stuck in shell. The one that hatch on 24th day had membrain stuck all over it. Is this cause from low humitity or something else?

OldChurchEggery

Re: Chicks with hurt leg
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:55:31 PM »
I had some chicks hatch a while back that had wry neck. I dissolved part of a vitamin tablet in some warm water because I read it could be caused by vitamin deficiency. I figured I had nothing to lose, so I tried it and it worked. You could always try a vitamin solution in case the leg problem is due to that. It sounds more like it's an incubation problem, though. Perhaps if the humidity was too low the membrane inside of the egg began to contract as it dried and restricted movement. Unless it's my Jersey Giants, which tend to take an extra day to hatch, I don't keep the incubator running past the 22nd day. The longer something struggles to get out, the more likely there is to be either a) a deformity contributing to its untimely exit or b) injury as a result of being stuck so long. Is the foot drawn up and curled or is it open but they don't/can't put weight on it?

Chicklover

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »
The foot is open just being held up. All three have a sore on the knee. I believe it might be from low humitity or vit. issue but I don't know.

Russ

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
I always use Vi-tal in the water (vitamin, electrolyte, and mineral supplement added to water) for all my chick's (and twice a week for breeders) just in case. After 3 days if there are any issues (be it legs, beaks, color etc.) I cull. I don't want nothing to pop up later in my gene pool if I can help it. Breed a lot and cull heavy is the best way to improve from what I was told.

Chicklover

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 11:35:53 PM »
Talk to the Extention Vet at the Uof A and he told me that it was from to low of humitity and that it should fix it self by day 7 if not cull.

dixieland

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:55:25 PM »
The advice from the extension vet sounds good... Adding some vitamins to their water will never hurt either... Ifa chick hatches with a leg problem or something else which can be cured, I try for one week to help get them going in the right direction. If they arent on the mend by that 7th day I cull them...