Author Topic: Bantams for sale  (Read 7917 times)

grisaboy

Bantams for sale
« on: June 26, 2012, 12:13:49 AM »
Hello All,
We just sold our farm so I need to downsize fairly quickly.
I have a couple dozen silver bantams af various ages.
A couple trios of whites. And some project colors, mostly light brown and golden. Some others.
I really don't want to mess with shipping birds.  I have a lot to do just getting ready to move.  If someone wants to come and pick them up, you can get a really good deal on some nice birds.
I live in Greencastle Indiana (West Central part of the state).
I am ready to make a deal.
Curtis Beck
cbeck19@hotmail.com

grisaboy

Re: Bantams for sale
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »
Here are some of the Silver Pullets that I need to get rid of.

grisaboy

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:55:26 PM »
Some light brown pullets.
I have cockerels to go with these.

grisaboy

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 11:01:06 PM »
How about Ginger?

grisaboy

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 11:03:07 PM »
Most of these non-standard color birds are going to be at a traders fair on Sunday so they won't be around long.

grisaboy

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:10:51 PM »
Here are some of the light brown breeders
I'm not sure that I want to get rid of these
But might be convinced if someone really wants to work on developing light browns.

grisaboy

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 11:28:25 PM »
I have several silver cockerals that need to go.  They are still in the speckeldy stage so it's hard to say if they are going to have nice black breasts. No red in the wings though.  Here is on of the breeding pens that they came from.

grisaboy

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »

I would rather people pick up birds but I can ship if necessary.
I just shipped a couple of bantams to North Carolina and shipping charges cost around $70.
I believe I can fit two pairs of the young birds in a standard shipping box.
It needs to cool off a little though.  It was at least 100 degrees in Indiana today. I won't ship birds when it is that warm.

Curtis

Johnny Parks

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 04:29:30 PM »
Curtis,
I'm working on developing Black Breasted Red.  In the picture you posted of the mature pair of Light Brown, What are the differences?  They look almost the same as the project birds I have!
Thanks,
Johnny

Mike Gilbert

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 04:59:55 PM »
Johnny, Black Breasted Red males have clear hackles and saddles, while Light Browns have hackle striping.   Jerry S. wanted light browns way back when, but it was decided at the time the males looked too much like wheaten males, as most wheaten males had at least some hackle striping.   That could have confused and probably discouraged a lot of beginners.   Today most good wheaten males have pretty clean hackles.   Few breeds recognize more than one of the three, though Old English seem to come in pretty much everything - but maybe not Light Brown.  Wayne Meredith had light brown large fowl in the 1970's, but switched over to wheaten when the Standards were adopted.   He will always have my gratitude and admiration for that.

grisaboy

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »

Johnny,
Mike is correct,
These light brown birds have the dark stripe in the hackle feathers.
They are actually a product of the golden project that i have been working on.
I got a light brown hen from Jerry to cross to a Golden male.  The light brown is dominant over the golden so I got a lot of light brown birds.  They such good type that I kept a few for breeding.  Some of the hens have the light golden hackles that I think I want in the golden hens but I don't have handle on the genetics yet so I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for.  The ginger pullets are an artifact of the golden project too but came from wheatonsXbrown red hens crossed with the golden male.

Johnny, I've also got a bunch of birchens right now that came from crossing a silver male over some white hens. I am taking them (and the gingers) to a sale tomorrow so let me know if you want me to save you a couple.

Curtis

Johnny Parks

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 12:05:26 AM »
Curtis,
It's just too hot to ship birds now.  And, I know you need to move those birds so you can get on with your move.  Maybe another time, if you ever have birchen in the future.  Thank you for offering! Johnny 

grisaboy

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
We are supposed to get a break in the heat here in Indiana next week with highs in the 80s rather than the 100s.
This would be a good time to ship some birds.  I don't have much time left to get rid of them.
So let me know if you would like to get some.
I sure would prefer these birds go to an Ameraucana breeder rather than a backyard flock somewhere.
Thanks
Curtis
cbeck19@hotmail.com
(765) 720-2159