The Official Forum of the Ameraucana Breeders Club > Exhibiting & Promoting

4-H fitting and showmanship ???

(1/3) > >>

Russ:
Hello everyone, I have a quick question concerning showmanship for youth in 4-H. This year I have become poultry leader for the local 4-H club my children are involved in. This is only there second year (with my daughter still being a clover bud) and I remember last year during showmanship the Judge was asking if anyone had a stick (for posing the bird). I have been searching for a place to purchase one of these sticks but have not found any. Does anyone know where I could order one of these at. I would really like to be able to demonstrate and show the youth the proper way to show according to the 4-H poultry fitting and showmanship guide. Also any other advise would be greatly appreciated I am new to this, and really want to give them the best opportunity to shine plus HAVE FUN  :D. Thanks for any input, Russ

Jean:
http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=270

Don:
Russ, often times you can find telescoping pointers at Walmart for a few bucks.  They are nothing fancy, but if you are buying for a group of kids they would be a cost effective option.   I like to have a few around anyway.  At least when I need one I am more apt to find at least one of them.   

Russ:
Thanks Jean and Don, Judging sticks duh. I guess it is easier to find something if you know what to call it. Seemed the only thing I was finding was a stick for catching chickens  ::) at least I had enough common sense to know that was NOT what I was looking for  ;D and to bring my question here  ;)

Russ:
Well the fair is over and chickens are back home. One of the boys in our club took second place in junior showmanship whew who. Was another learning experience that's for sure. Found out some judges literally don't like the term lavender bantam, as soon as my son told him that (during fancy judging) he put the bird down. Then proceeded to give him a 10minute lecture on the correct term is self blue and that lavender will never be accepted blah blah blah  . Which wouldn't of bothered me until it was time for His L.F. Black, and the judge grilled him with a bunch more question's. Especially when my son got a little nervous he really started rifling him (at least in my eyes) and had the nerve to tell him he was picking on him  >:(. Good thing I guess is he told him he had 1 of the nicest looking birds he saw that day. Makes me wonder if he did not place because he called his bantam a "lavender"???? Oh well I guess that is how the cards fall some times, there is always next year  ;). Oh yeah and he made out like a Bandit on his meat pen of fryers $350, you want to see a 13 year old look like a opossum, lol he was grinning from ear to ear. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version