Author Topic: Black/Blue lacing Q.s  (Read 3174 times)

Black/Blue lacing Q.s
« on: January 26, 2006, 10:37:06 AM »
I was reading in the 2005 handbook last night that the continuous blackxblue cross causes deterioration of color intensity of black & lacing of blues. Can someone elaborate? In reguards to lacing, does this mean since lacing is not visible on blacks then you cannot cull based on that factor? Does lacing not occur \"naturally\" within the black colors?

Black/Blue lacing Q.s
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 02:06:02 PM »
You should not get any deterioration of black color. If you cross a black bird with a blue bird you are actually cross a black bird with a black bird. In order to get a completely black bird or completely blue bird the bird should be, E/E, homozygous for extended black and should carry black intensifiers. Both the birds should have the same intensifiers and extended black genes. If you cross them, they should produce birds that have the same genes.

Birds that are darker will carry more black intensifiers while lighter birds would carry less intensifiers. The only way the black color or blue color would lighten would be because you have breed out the intensifiers.

Lacing is caused by the Pg or pattern gene and Ml or Melanotic (a black intensifier). If both birds are pure, have two pattern genes and two melanotic genes , then they should pass on both  genes to their offspring. There shouldn\'t  be any deterioration.  

I have black birds that do show lacing. The lacing is a darker black and reflects light differently than the rest of the feather. You will have to look at the feather at an angle and you will see the lacing. They came form a cross I made between a black jersey giant and a blue brown easter egger. I have one female from the cross that is a very good example of blue. The feathers are blue and  each feather is laced with black.  Her head and neck are darker blue because of the melanotic she carries.

Rooster

John

Black/Blue lacing Q.s
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 06:52:42 PM »
Black birds with good lacing show it.  I\'ve always bred blacks and blues together.  The trick is to have good lacing on both sides of the mating.  

Black/Blue lacing Q.s
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 04:29:30 PM »
I\'m happy to hear you both saying this as I did not understand what was being inferred (and, I guess, still do not, ha). Is darker head and neck a good indication of melanotic intensifiers? Are Jersey Giants known for carrying the Pg  and Ml genes?
What affects expression of Melanotic?

Black/Blue lacing Q.s
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 07:39:35 PM »
Jersey giants carry melanotic but not the Pg gene. The easter egger I crossed with the jersey giant had the Pg gene. Darker head and neck are an indication of melanotic. Any gene that can dilute black will effect melanotic.

Rooster